A required component of the pharmacy curriculum, Experiential Learning Program rotations account for about one-third of a pharmacy student’s total education. By providing students with on-the-job experience, they develop exceptional technical skill and sound professional judgment while also learning how to cultivate a trusting relationship with the patients and families they serve.
As a preceptor, you help our students bridge the gap between classroom and practice so that they become more adept in applying their knowledge. As a result, patients achieve the best possible outcomes through competent care.
Make a difference. Become a preceptor!
If you are interested in becoming a preceptor with the College of Pharmacy, please complete the following steps. All preceptor forms and resources can be found in the Preceptor Toolbox.
- Complete the Preceptor Application and Rotation Availability form.
Once you have completed your application and rotation availability form, you will also be prompted to upload your current CV/Resume and your rotation syllabus.
- Prepare your Rotation Syllabus.
To assist you in this process, please find a syllabi template for your rotation category. Each document can be adapted to include objectives and rotation activities to fit your practice site. This document can be submitted via the Preceptor Application and Rotation Availability form or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Establish an Affiliation Agreement if you are a new practice site for the College of Pharmacy.
Please complete the required fields of the Affiliation Agreement and print for signatures of the authorized individuals at your site. Then submit the signed agreement via fax at 803-777-0581, or email it to email@example.com. If your facility prefers to use a standard agreement, please send this template to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we have corporate agreements established with several nationwide chain pharmacies, so please check with our office if you have any questions.
- Review the Rotation Manuals.
Our rotation manuals will answer many of your preliminary questions and allow you to become familiar with our experiential program.
Strong preceptors offer more effective learning experiences for our students. In order to lend you the support that you need as a preceptor, we will provide you with the training and support you need to ensure your success.
- Annual Preceptor Conference – Offered in the fall of each year, our annual conference allows you to network with other preceptors, reviews expectations and provides best practices to enhance the learning experience that you provide.
- Pharmacist’s Letter Preceptor Training & Resource Network – If you do not have a CE ID# for PLPTRN or have a personal subscription to Pharmacist's Letter, you can request on by clicking on "I'm new to Pharmacist's Letter..."