GLD for Faculty and Staff
GLD overview featuring student comments. 4 ½ minutes.
Graduation with Leadership Distinction
- A recognition for students who are engaged in purposeful areas beyond the classroom: community service, research, study abroad, peer leadership, internships
- A learning experience that helps students see connections across experiences … how theory and practice are intertwined … as they complete presentations and an e-portfolio
- Preparation for leadership as students apply learning to make a positive difference.
In their work with students, faculty and staff can:
- Encourage participation – GLD takes effort. Encouragement from a faculty or staff member can make the difference. Help your students make the most of their education by pursuing GLD.
- Recommend beyond the classroom experiences that will enrich the educational experience of your majors.
- Clarify how degree requirements fit into GLD requirements (so students can see that attaining GLD is doable)
- Create opportunities for reflection across within and beyond the classroom experiences in classes and course assignments
To request a course be added to a GLD pathway, e-mail the syllabus and the name of the requested pathway to Irma Van Scoy, Executive Director, USC Connect.
- USC Connect & Leadership Distinction: How they work together (one-page)
- Summary Chart of GLD Requirements Bachelor’s Level
- Summary Chart of GLD Requirements Associate’s Level
- GLD E-Portfolio Rubric
- USC Connect by Major: See your program’s recommendations
- Searchable Database of Experiences: Check out opportunities for students across the university that relate to your area or enter opportunities you have for students.
- Graduation with Leadership Distinction detailed information
- USC Connect by Major – if your program is not represented or you want to change your recommendations
- GLD worksheet – consider how your program aligns with GLD:
Associate degree form
Baccalaureate Degree form
We are happy to meet with programs, departments, colleges/schools to answer questions, hear ideas, and coordinate efforts. Email Irma Van Scoy, Executive Director, USC Connect.
Please contact us with any questions or comments:
Thomas Cooper Library, Suite L132
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208