1967; Residence Hall, Top of Carolina Dining Room, Conference Center
This 18-story residence hall topped by a rotating dining facility was a
significant "first" for the University of South Carolina and also for the
Carolinas. Housing the first, and only, revolving restaurant in North and
South Carolina, Capstone gave the area an attraction comparable to those in
several major cities. "Top of Carolina," thought to be the only such dining
facility on any university campus in the country, is now used only for catered
events. The rotating platform and mechanism were acquired from an exhibit at
the New York World's Fair and were gifts of a South Carolina manufacturer,
Robert G. Wilson. The Campus Room on the first floor accommodates Board of
Trustees meetings and other important functions.
Capstone House was the first
honors residence at USC. Liberalized rules governing house regulations and
curfews were among the innovations which occurred in student life when
Guest rooms on the 17th floor of Capstone House have plaques
commemorating former heads of the University: William Porcher Miles
(1822-1899), John M. McBryde (1841-1923), Robert Henry (1792-1856), Henry J.
Nott (1797-1837), Andrew C. Moore (1866-1928), Charles F. McCay (1810-1868),
and Francis W. Bradley (1884-1971).