1810; rebuilt 1854
This building was instrumental in introducing the regency style of
architecture to Columbia. It served as a faculty house until the 1940s, when
it was converted to a women's residence hall and named in honor of Professor
G.A. Wauchope, composer of the University's Alma Mater. The building replaced
an 1810 structure, the first faculty residence on campus, apparently
destroyed by fire.
In 1952 it was converted by extensive reconstruction to a single dwelling to
become the official President's House. East and west stairwells were added,
as were enclosed porches on the second and third floors. From this time also
date the beautiful downstairs library and the splendid reception room on the
Private contributions permitted the University to use the finest hardware,
woodwork, and other materials. Three of the mantels were made from pine
secured in Williamsburg, Virginia, following restoration work there. The
mantels are enhanced by Italian marble. Former President and Mrs. Donald S.
Russell contributed valuable period and antique furniture and numerous other