1955, 1958, 1967, 1976; University Union, Student Affairs Offices
Encompassing over 225,000 square feet, the Russell House is one of
the largest student unions in the Southeast. It is an extremely busy
area: its doors open 18,000-20,000 times a day during the regular
semester, and over 5,700 events/programs/meetings are held there each
year, making it the focal point of campus life. Russell House has been
expanded three times to meet the needs of a growing number of students.
The last addition, a four-story structure, houses a ballroom as well as
the campus bookstore, a post office, meeting rooms, lounges, and a game
room. In 1984 the Carolina Mall was located in the basement of the
U.S. Circuit Judge Donald S. Russell (Class of 1925, Law, 1928),
president of USC from 1952 to 1957, was instrumental during that time in
the passage of legislation allowing state institutions of higher
learning to issue tuition and dormitory-revenue bonds to finance
permanent improvements. A number of new buildings were made possible
during his tenure, including the new student union building named for
President and Mrs. Russell, the former Virginia Utsey (Class of 1927).
Judge Russell, who was appointed to the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court in
1971, is a former U.S. assistant secretary of state, governor of South
Carolina, U.S. senator, and U.S. district judge; and has served with a
number of federal agencies. He has also served as a trustee of Emory
University, Spartanburg Junior College, Converse College, Christ School,
and Benedict College.