1930; College of Education, Museum of Education
In 1929 the USC School of Education was the only one at any southern
state university that was not housed in an adequate building of its own.
Consequently Wardlaw College was built
at the urging of President Davison M. Douglas. The College not only
provided adequate facilities for the education program, but also made
possible the opening of University High School in 1932, established
jointly by the University and the Columbia Public Schools, fulfilling
the need for practice teaching facilities for education majors.
University High School was closed in 1966. This building was totally
renovated in the 1970s.
Patterson Wardlaw (1859-1948, Class of 1940 Honorary), served as dean
of the School of Education and professor of education. He was founding
editor of South Carolina Education.
The Museum of Education located in Wardlaw houses memorabilia of
South Carolina public and private schools, colleges and universities
dating from the 1800s onward, including old textbooks, files, yearbooks,
military uniforms, etc.
The gymnasium is named for George Foster Peabody (1795-1869), who
established the foundation which bears his name. The auditorium is named
for Governor John Drayton (1766-1822), one of the founders of South
Carolina College; it was completely renovated in 1989 to include a fly
loft and is the site for many productions by the Department of Theatre,
Speech & Dance.
The well-known sculpture in front
of Wardlaw, The Torchbearer, was contributed to the University by
the artist, Anna Hyatt Huntington.