Skip to Content

Academic Advising

Leaving USC

Review the information below if you are considering transferring from or leaving USC or if you are considering dropping all of your courses. 

Withdrawal Periods

Withdrawals are defined by the time in the semester you wish to withdraw. There are both academic and financial implications associated with the date you drop your course(s). Hardship Withdrawals (defined as medical, mental health, or special circumstance) are only considered for past semesters or the current semester’s Withdrawal/Fail (WF) period.

When leaving USC, there is no official withdrawal paperwork. However, depending on how you’re paying for school or if you are enrolled in a special program (major, etc.), we encourage you to contact the appropriate departments before you withdraw. Those departments may require paperwork.

Prior to withdrawing, all students are encouraged to contact the University Registrar to confirm the point in the semester for which you are withdrawing, and speak with a counselor at the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for questions regarding how dropping some or all your courses will impact your aid (e.g. federal and private loans, grants, scholarships, special status, etc.).

For information about tuition refunds, please contact the Bursar’s Office.

Dropping All Courses

If you are dropping all of your courses during the current semester:

  1. Visit the Registrar’s calendar to know the withdrawal period in the semester for which you are dropping your courses. Then, visit the University's academic bulletin and review the section called Dropping Courses and Withdrawal, which will explain academic transcript concerns.
  2. Speak with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships about withdrawal implications. Consider discussing:
    how dropping courses can affect your federal or private loans, your scholarships, and other aid for the current and future semester(s). In some cases, repayment may be required. 
  3. Consider consulting the Withdrawal Checklist for other items to consider before dropping all of your courses. 

How to Drop Courses in Self-Service Carolina:

  1. Log in to your Self-Service Carolina account. 
  2. Click on the Student tab then the Registration tile. 
  3. Click Register for Classes and choose the term from which you want to withdraw. 
  4. Registered classes are listed in the summary window in the lower right corner. Each should have an action drop down list. When the drop down is clicked, a student can select the 'Drop/Withdrawal Course/W' option. Please note: if the WF period has begun, the option would read 'Drop/Withdrawal Course/WF'. 
  5. Click submit to complete the action. 
  6. If you are not able to withdraw, it is possible that there is a hold on your account. Go back to the home screen, and click the 'Registration Notices and Holds' option to view holds or notices on your account. Contact the department(s) listed to have the hold removed. 

Leaving or Transferring from USC

If you are leaving USC after a full semester, follow the steps below:

  1. Don’t register for courses for the next semester.
  2. Speak with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if you receive scholarships, loans, or grants and you plan to attend USC in the near future.
  3. Resolve any financial debt or other obligations with campus departments (Housing, etc).
  4. If you are an international student, please contact International Student Services at 803-777-7461.

Many transfer questions can be answered by the admissions office at your new school for transfer guidelines (including financial aid). For USC transcripts, visit If you are leaving during a semester, please refer to the information above. If you are leaving USC but not transferring, the information above still applies. However, if you have additional questions, contact us at

Please note: If you miss an entire semester, and wish to return, you would have to reapply to USC. 

Returning from Withdrawal

If you miss a full semester (fall or spring) of enrollment at USC, to attend courses again, you must reapply to the University through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by submitting a Readmit Application. 

If you have a course grade or a “W” on your transcript for a previous semester (fall or spring), please contact your assigned academic advisor about registering for next semester courses.

Hardship Withdrawal

If you are withdrawing from the current semester due to a hardship (defined as a serious mental health, medical, or significant personal emergency which prevented you from successfully completing the semester),  you may consider submitting a Hardship Withdrawal petition. Read more about hardship withdrawals, the petition process and other items to consider before withdrawing. 

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.