September 5 - October 30, 2018
Application Deadline: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 by 5 p.m.
Are you a graduate student who is new to online learning or interested in teaching an online course? Would you like to boost your teaching credentials and learn new instructional skills? This eight-week online course will introduce you to online teaching and develop your knowledge and ability to implement and teach online courses at the University of South Carolina and throughout your career as an educator. Course topics will include the following:
- Recognizing online learning best practices
- Identifying on-campus learner and faculty support resources
- Revising a syllabus for an online course
- Comparing online learning models and theories
- Creating measurable learning outcomes/objectives
- Discussing the course design and development process
- Using Blackboard and other instructional technology tools
- Producing accessible course materials
- Collaborating and networking with peers
The goal of this course is to support and develop a community of graduate students prepared to develop and teach high-quality online courses. You may apply for this course if you:
- are an experienced graduate student at the University of South Carolina, and
- have at least one semester of face-to-face or online teaching experience as the instructor of record or primary teacher.
Priority will be given to graduate students who teach as instructor of record or primary teacher who are scheduled to teach online for USC in an upcoming semester. This course is offered fully online and does not have any scheduled meeting times. Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate of completion. There are no fees associated with this course.
Admission to this course is competitive and spaces are limited, so apply early. Applicants will be expected to complete 100 percent of the course activities on the appointed schedule in order to receive the certificate of completion.
You must submit both the online application and the signature page to be considered.
Teaching Online for Graduate Students will run for eight weeks, starting on September 5th, 2018. Course activities must be completed satisfactorily on due dates during the eight weeks of the course.
- Print out and complete the Signature Page below, including all required signatures. Required signatures include signature of graduate director.
- Upload scanned, completed PDF Signature Page to the online application form.
- Complete the online application form below including the Signature Page.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, August 1st by 5 p.m.
Selected applications will be notified by Wednesday, August 8th.
For questions, please contact Casey Carroll at 803-777-9948 or CARROLCA@mailbox.sc.edu.
About the Facilitator
Casey Carroll is an instructional developer with the Center for Teaching Excellence at USC. Casey is responsible for working with the instructional design team to support faculty who are teaching online, producing technology-enabled course materials and assisting with quality assurance course reviews. Prior to joining CTE, Casey designed curriculum for professional training and leadership development. Casey has also taught First-Year English and English as a Second Language at the University of South Carolina. He holds a master’s degree in linguistics from USC and a bachelor’s degree in Spanish and psychology from Pacific Lutheran University.