Global UofSC in London: The Arts
Students participating in the Global UofSC in London program earn UofSC course credits while learning about arts and culture in London! Participants are accompanied and instructed by UofSC faculty. During this program students will have the chance to explore London and immerse themselves in British culture. Students will be studying on the doorstep of the West End theatre district and Bloomsbury academic district.
In addition to taking courses, students will participate in educational and cultural excursions, including Hampton Court Palace, Shakespeare's Globe Theater, Greenwich, Chilterns, Tate Modern and Tate Britain Art Museums, Cambridge, Kew Gardens, and more!
This program will be offered May 16 through June 5, 2021.
- Accommodation—with access to full kitchens
- Excursions—in and out of London
- Transportation pass
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Airport pick-up in London
- Overseas emergency medical insurance
- 24/7 support from USC faculty and staff in-country
The program fee does not include:
- USC tuition (paid directly to USC on my.sc.edu at the in-state rate)
- Study abroad application fee of $150
- Round trip airfare
- Meals not listed on itinerary
- Personal expenses and optional activities
ENGL 200/439: This course is an exploration of the art of travel writing—the experience of new places, the exploration of different layers of culture, history and people in these new surroundings and the contemplation of the meaning of travel itself. It is both a field course, with plentiful opportunities to immerse yourself in your surroundings as a writer, and a course in the craft of place-based prose, in which we will discuss contemporary travel authors work and ways of structuring the narrative, interviewing people and vividly describing places. The course will function as a workshop, in which we will share work-in-progress, offer feedback on our fellow authors’ work, and develop a portfolio of polished creative writing for the end of the course. The goals of the course will be to come away with a richer sense of the place you’ve inhabited, to discover your voice as a travel writer, and to develop a collection of vivid mementos of your time here.
Various funding opportunities exist for this program. Please note the terms eligible listed for each:
- Beyond Boundaries: The Beyond Boundaries Award is a financial award of $1500 or more to be used to help fund a credit-bearing Maymester/summer study abroad experience. The goal of this award is to help students with high financial need make an overseas experience possible.
- Carolina Global Study Award: All USC students participating in semester, academic year, or summer programs are eligible to compete for this award. The number of awards available varies from year to year. The goal of this award is to help provide a study abroad experience for students with financial need.
- Passport Travel Grant: The Passport Travel Grant is a financial award of up to $2000 to be used to help fund a Maymester or summer study abroad experience for Capstone, Honors, and Top Scholar students.
Per university policy, all UofSC students will be charged emergency medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance for their time abroad. Contact the Education Abroad Office for more details.