International Ombudsman Association Training and Leadership
Successfully completed basic, intermediate and advanced training in the theory and
practice of the ombuds profession sponsored by the International Ombudsman Association;
member of the Nominations and Elections Committee of the International Ombudsman Association
Millikin University (B.A.), Saint Louis University (M.S.), University of Alabama at
Birmingham (Ph.D.); postdoctoral training at the University of Michigan in the Neurosurgical
Research Laboratory and at the Université de Montréal, Centre de Recherché en Sciences
Contributions to Professional Journals and Textbooks
- The Anatomical Record, Brain Research, Brain Research Reviews and Neuroscience
- Lucite plate model of baboon oculomotor nucleus on exhibit in Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons, London, England.
- Single author of Human Neuroanatomy, 1st Edition published in November, 2008 by Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier.
- Single author of Human Neuroanatomy, 2nd Edition, published in February, 2017 by Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 978-0-470-96161-2.
Honors and Awards
- Six-time USC School of Medicine Pearls of Wisdom Lecturer
- Seven-time USC School of Medicine MI Teacher of the Year
- Mascoutah Schools Achievement Award, 2005
- Millikin University Alumni Merit Award, 2006
- USC Educational Foundation Outstanding Service Award, 2009
- Elizabeth Crosby Visiting Professor (Department of Neurosurgery) University of Michigan, March 2012
- USC School of Medicine Alumni Association Award Recipient, 2014
- USC School of Medicine Dean's Distinguished Service Award Recipient — Career Achievement
- American Association of Anatomists
- Cajal Club
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- International Ombudsman Association
- Society for Neuroscience
- "Ask an Expert" editor for the American Association of Anatomists
- Guo Liankui (Editor in Chief and Painting), Augustine JR, Lu Li, and Luo Shudong. (Executive Chief Editors) (2020) Atlas of Human Anatomy. Shanxi Medical College, Taiyuan, Shanxi Province, China Science Publishing & Media Ltd.
- McDonald AJ, Augustine JR (2020) Nonpyramidal neurons in the primate basolateral amygdala: a Golgi study in the baboon (Papio cynocephalus) and long-tailed macaque (Macaca fascicularis) J Comp Neurol 528(5):772-786.
- Augustine JR (2018) Ronan O’Rahilly, Anatomist and Embryologist, Dies at 96. Published online at the above URL.
- Augustine JR (2017) Human Neuroanatomy, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Twenty-three chapters, 397 pages. ISBN-13: 978-0470961612; ISBN-10: 0470961619
- Hoppmann R, et al (51 others including Augustine JR) (2015) The evolution of an integrated ultrasound curriculum (iUSC) for medical students: nine-year experience. Critical Ultrasound Journal 7:18-33.
- Lehman RM, Augustine JR (2014) Evolution and rebirth of functional stereotaxy in the subthalamus. World Neurosurg 80 (5):521-533.
- Augustine JR (2008) Human Neuroanatomy, Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-068251-255.
- Steinberg BA, Augustine JR (1997) Behavioral, anatomical, and physiological aspects of recovery of motor function following stroke. Brain Research Reviews 25:125-132.
- Augustine JR (1996) Circuitry and functional aspects of the insular lobe in primates including humans. Brain Research Reviews 22:229-244.
- McDonald AJ, Mascagni F, Augustine JR (1995) Neuropeptide Y and somatostatin-like immunoreactivity in the monkey amygdala. Neuroscience 66:959-982.
- Odor DL, Augustine JR (1995) Morphological study of changes in the baboon oviductal epithelium during the menstrual cycle. Microscopy Research and Technique 32:13-28.
- Augustine JR, Mascagni F, McDonald AJ, Blake CA (1993) Immunocytochemical staining of neuropeptide Y (NPY) in the insular lobe of the monkey: a light microscopic study. Brain Res 603:255-263.
- Augustine JR (1985) The insular lobe in primates including humans. Neurol Res 7:2-10.