While you have the choice between standard and express checkouts, express checkouts should be a last resort. If you have questions about any damage responsibilities, you will want to make sure to follow the standard checkout steps.
This checkout option is only available between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
Sign up with your RM for a checkout appointment.
Do so at least 24 hours in advance, and be on time for your appointment to avoid an improper checkout charge.
Remove your belongings and clean your room thorougly.
Do this before your appointment time with your RM.
Meet your RM at your appointment time to inspect your room.
You will also complete the Apartment/Room Condition Report.
Lock the room door and return your key to your RM.
If you lost your key, tell your RM. If you do not return your key, you will be charged a lock fee, determined by your building.
We do not recommend express checkouts. This option should be chosen as a last resort. If you cannot get an appointment and need help during an express checkout, call your duty phone for an RM to assist you.
Remove all of your belongings and clean the room thoroughly.
Lock your room when you're done and take your key.
Go to your hall office and get a key envelope.
Complete the information on the envelope and sign it.
Return your key to your office staff inside the sealed envelope.
If you lost your key, tell us in a note on your envelope. If you do not return your key, you will be charged a lock fee, determined by your building.
What Happens Next
A staff member will inspect your room after you leave to complete an Apartment/Room Condition Report.
You will be financially responsible for missing items, damages and necessary cleaning.
If you're worried about damages, go through the standard checkout procedures or call your duty phone for an RM to help during your express checkout.
To avoid a minimum cleaning charge of $25, make sure you clean each part of your room or apartment thoroughly.
- Sweep/vacuum and mop.
- Remove rug imprints.
- Do not sweep anything into the hallway or off your balcony.
- Remove all posters and putty/tape/command strips.
- Clean any marks.
- Remove stickers, tape, staples, etc.
- Clean any marks.
- Make sure the windows are closed and locked.
- Remove any stickers.
- Empty and clean closets and drawers.
- Make sure your bed is assembled as it was when you arrived.
- Arrange your room to its original layout.
- Wipe off your desk with a damp cloth.
- Empty and clean the medicine cabinet.
- Clean the sink and tub thoroughly.
- Remove any stickers from the mirrors and make sure they're clean.
- Clean refrigerator and defrost freezer if necessary.
- Clean the oven (inside and out) and the stovetop.
- Clear out the cabinets and clean them (inside and out).
These are common damage and cleaning charges. This is not a comprehensive list of possible charges you may incur as part of checkout. If you have questions about damage responsibilities, talk with your RM.
- Burn Marks
- Cracked Mirrors
- Cracked Windows
- Dart Holes
- Disassembled Furniture
- Missing or Damaged Furniture
- Missing Mattress Pad
- Holes in Walls/Doors
- Items Left in Room
- Rented Appliances Left in Room
- Stained Carpet
- Stickers or Decals on Room Surfaces
- Tears in Mattress