Preston Residential College Faculty Principal
Dr. Lara Lomicka Anderson—aka “Doc Lo”—is a professor of French and Applied Linguistics. She grew up in rural Pennsylvania, where she spent her first 30 years. Majoring in French and International Business at a small liberal arts school (Grove City College), Dr. Lomicka lived on campus for 4 years. She then completed a Masters in French at Bowling Green State University (Ohio), a second Masters at the Université François Rabelais (Tours, France), and then earned a PhD from Penn State (Second Language Acquisition and French). She arrived at the University of South Carolina in 2001, and previously served as a Preston Associate for many years.
Dr. Lomicka is a frequent traveler and likes to share her knowledge of technology and language learning at conferences, doing keynotes, and conducting workshops with teachers around the world. Her research focuses on language and social media, study abroad, teacher education, and reflection. Her husband Andy (“Mr.Anderson”—think The Matrix, when you say it), and daughters Maleah (14) and Ashlyn (12), plus two kitties live in Preston Residential College alongside residents.
Dr. Lomicka's responsibilities:
- Set educational & academic goals and priorities
- Guide long range strategic & financial planning
- Set annual communication & marketing priorities
- Lead the Preston Associates program
- Guide plans for community service, civic engagement, and leadership development
- Lead study abroad trip for Preston
- Serve as liaison to Provost Office, Vice Presidents, & Academic Deans