Join the Leadership of South Carolina's Flagship University
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer of the University of South Carolina, the Chief Communications Officer oversees and coordinates all public relations activities; manages the institutional brand; directs the marketing plan; oversees budgets for communications activities; ensures consistency in contact with target audiences; supervises all units within the Office of Communications and Public Affairs. The incumbent is responsible for the creation, implementation and direction of a communications program for the University of South Carolina encompassing all aspects of marketing, public relations, internal communications and crisis communications.
Desired attributes of candidates include:
- Demonstrated management skills including leading diverse teams to using new technologies and nontraditional approaches to media relations and internal communications.
- Demonstrated understanding of creating excellent internal communications strategies designed to build community and create pride and informed dialogue within a university or like setting.
- Excellent writing skills; practiced understanding of Associated Press writing style.
- Experience using social and online media best practices to help advance an institution’s reputation.
- Experience using online video, audio and engagement technologies to further build relationships with various audiences and enhance a story’s value.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.