The Office for International Scholars (OIS) advises university departments preparing to welcome non-U.S. citizen faculty, research staff, affiliates and sponsored visitors. We provide a wide range of services to support the employment-based or exchange-based U.S. immigration process.
Please contact us as soon as possible with the following information.
- The prospective scholar's full name, country of citizenship, contact information (phone and email), and CV.
- Name and contact information of faculty supervisor/associate.
- Purpose of proposed activity such as teaching, research, sabbatical, conference, colloquium or consultation. Please be as specific as possible.
- For tenure-track faculty searches recruiting from a world-wide talent pool, the best practice is to contact OIS prior to placing position advertisements.
- For short-term international visitors (e.g., guest speaker, conference attendee, etc.), please review our Guidance for Hosting International Visitors.
Due to federal agencies' processing timelines, for best results, please contact the Office for International Scholars at least 6 months prior to the desired start date.
For tenure-track faculty candidates, please contact OIS for guidance in advance of their campus visit.
Will the scholar come to a UofSC campus, or participate in activity elsewhere, such as an off-site conference, U.S. National Labs, etc.? Please include all proposed sites of activity.
Does the department plan to pay salary, honorarium, travel-related/per diem expenses or a consulting fee? If so, how much, for what purpose and for what length of time? If not, describe the source and amount of the scholar's support.