The Emerging Leaders Program is for administrative professionals who are in a supervisory or management position and have the potential to hold a higher-level administrative leadership position at UofSC in the near future.
Participants must be working in a full-time staff position at the university. Supervisory experience and/or completion of the LEAD supervisory training program is strongly recommended.
Twenty-four (24) ELP participants are selected each academic year through a competitive application process. The applications and leadership endorsements must be submitted together, by Friday, May 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST.
- Application: Formal application [pdf] must be completed in its entirety. Incomplete applications may be rejected, without notification.
- Leadership Endorsement: Each applicant must be sponsored by a university leader. Leaders guarantee endorsement of the participant by (1) signing the bottom of the
application and (2) providing a recommendation letter that indicates the leader:
- will cover the cost of the program;
- commits to support and guide their employee throughout this program giving due consideration to time requirements, office coverage, 360 assessment survey, and the provision of ongoing feedback;
- identifies why they recommend this applicant at this time, over others, and what they hope the participant will gain from this program.
Endorsements must come from a department head, department chair, dean, provost, vice provost, associate vice president or vice president.
- Submission: Submit application and endorsement to email@example.com or Organizational and Professional Development Office, 1600 Hampton Street, Suite 101, Columbia. S.C. 29208. A review committee appointed by the Vice President of Human Resources reviews all applications to create a 24-member cohort, representing diverse work settings and roles across the university.
Program participants must attend at least 85% of the leadership sessions that run from August to April to receive a certificate of completion. Participants must participate in peer group coaching sessions and a project that may involve additional meeting time outside of the scheduled leadership sessions. Participants will participate in a 360° feedback process that includes an individual coaching session to create a personal SWOT analysis and an Individual Development Plan.
A non-refundable fee of $850 is charged to the sponsoring department. This fee is used solely to cover Emerging Leaders Program expenses including speaker fees, training materials, assessments and other costs.
|Activity||Completed No Later Than|
|HR emails “Call for Nomination” memorandum to vice presidents, provost, etc.||Monday, April 8, 2019|
|Submission deadline for applications and nominations||Friday, May 24, 2019|
|HR notifies applicants of their admission status||Friday, June 28, 2019|
|Participants verify their commitment to the year‐long program||Friday, July 12, 2019|
|HR announces the participants to UofSC community||Thursday, August 1, 2019|
|Emerging Leaders Program begins||Thursday, September 5, 2019|
|Emerging Leaders Program concludes||Friday, April 17, 2020|
Reminder: 85% program attendance required for successful ELP completion.
|Session 1||Thursday, September 5, 2019||1:00 pm - 4:30 pm|
|Session 2||Friday, September 6, 2019||9:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Session 3||Monday, September 30, 2019||9:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|Session 4||Tuesday, October 15, 2019||9:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Session 5||Thursday, November 7, 2019||9:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|Session 6||Monday, December 9, 2019||9:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Session 7||Wednesday, January 22, 2020||9:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|Session 8||Thursday, January 23, 2020||9:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Session 9||Thursday, February 20, 2020||9:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Session 10||Wednesday, March 18, 2020||1:00 pm - 4:30 pm|
|Session 11||Friday, April 17, 2020||9:00 am - 4:00 pm|
Note: All sessions are scheduled for 1600 Hampton Street, Suite 101 unless otherwise noted.