The LEAD (Supervisory Essentials) program, is required for all supervisors of University staff hired into a supervisory position after January 1, 2010 (Policy HR 1.51 [pdf]). It consists of six courses with a total of 22.5 classroom hours, including the following:
- Flexible Leadership: Basics and Beyond (3.5 classroom hours)
- Interviewing and Selecting Employees (6 classroom hours)
- Coaching for Improved Performance (3.5 classroom hours)
- Diagnosing Performance Problems (3.5 classroom hours)
- Sexual Harassment Recognition and Prevention (3 classroom hours)
- Managing Employee Performance Using EPMS (3 classroom hours)
Courses should be completed within 18 months of hire into a supervisory position. They may be taken in any sequence, but the Organizational and Professional Development Office recommends that you take Flexible Leadership: Basics and Beyond prior to attending other LEAD courses.
Certificate of Completion
Certificates of completion for this program are mailed out once a month. You can expect to receive your certificate the month following completing the LEAD program. If you would like to monitor your own progress toward your certificate, log in and view your training records and use the Certificate of Completion Checklist [pdf] to help keep track.
How to Register
Register by going to the Organizational and Professional Development training calendar and searching for the class you want to attend. For more details, review “How to Register for a Course” by visiting the Training Classes page of our site.
Please remember, employees should always obtain supervisory approval to attend training courses offered through Organizational and Professional Development.