Sound Check Requirements
Effective August 1, 2021: Participants in online classes for the OPD certificate programs (LEAD, Managing High Performing Teams, and Effective Communication) MUST have a working microphone on their computers or use the dial-in feature and be able to verbally participate in the sessions. OPD will require a sound check during introductions at the beginning of the session to verify your ability to participate.
Upgrade your skill set and advance your career in one of the following certificate programs. Each program focuses on a specific topic designed to help business personnel, managers and communicators.
This certificate program is for new business personnel and experienced business managers who need refresher training. Participants who complete all four courses in this program receive a certificate of recognition for mastering the fundamental business processes at UofSC. Courses in this certificate program may be taken in any sequence.
Highlighting the requirements of the S.C. Consolidated Procurement Code, this course covers the different types of bids and how they are handled by the Purchasing Office. There will be an emphasis on how each method affects work scheduling.
This course discusses the most commonly used Administration and Finance policies and procedures, including the basis for their inception and how they affect the day-to-day business of the university.
This course provides generalized information on the UofSC Purchasing Card, including how and when it should be used. This course is not the required purchasing card training for card holders or liaisons.
Provides an overview of state and university policies employees must follow when purchasing equipment, materials and supplies for the University of South Carolina.
Participants will learn how to:
- Use UofSC purchasing forms.
- Locate and apply mandatory procedures associated with S.C. Consolidated Procurement Code laws and regulations.
- Determine methods of purchasing and procurement thresholds.
- Document process flows to assure timely processing.
- Make large expenditures that require bidding or documentation for sole source.
- Apply tax options accurately when purchasing research equipment.
- Use UofSC purchasing cards.
- Interpret South Carolina state contracts.
Members of effective teams want to feel like they did a good job at providing their product or service, that they worked well together, and that they personally got something out of their time spent together.
In this certificate program, we will explore what is required of teams and team leaders to build high performing teams and satisfy these three criteria.
Complete all courses to receive certificate. Team Dynamics should be completed first as a prerequisite to other courses. Other courses may be completed in any order.
- Team Dynamics (complete first) – 90 minutes (former course equivalent for credit: Team Management, Part I)
- Building Cohesive Teams – 1 hour (former course equivalent for credit: Team Management, Part I)
- Creating Positive Group Norms – 1 hour (former course equivalent for credit: Team Management, Part II)
- Team Decision Making Methods – 1 hour (former course equivalent for credit: Team Management, Part II)
- Team Problem-Solving – 90 minutes
- Lean Process Improvement – 2 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Lean Basics)
- Measuring Team Performance – 90 minutes
- Managing Change – 90 minutes
- Managing Inclusive Meetings – 90 minutes
- Giving and Receiving Feedback – 90 minutes
- Psychological Safety – 1 hour (former course equivalent for credit: Psychological Safety)
- Setting Team Performance Expectations – 90 minutes
The “soft skill” competency most in demand within organizations is the ability to effectively communicate with others.
This certificate program explores the skills individuals need, methods for advocacy and inquiry, and many of the obstacles that must be overcome for us to communicate with one another successfully.
Complete all courses to receive certificate. Courses may be completed in any order.
- Communicating Effectively – 2 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Communication Skills for Managers)
- Difficult Conversations – 2 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Difficult Conversations)
- Generational Differences – 2 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Generational Differences)
- Conflict Resolution Skills – 2 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Conflict Resolution Skills)
- Emotional Intelligence – 2 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Emotional Intelligence)
- Negotiation Skills – 1 hour
Complete one course below:
- Presenting for Results, Parts I & II – 8 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Presenting for Results) OR
- Effective Online Presentations, Parts I & II – 4 hours (former course equivalent for credit: Presenting for Results)
Frequently Asked Questions
Common questions and answers about our LEAD, Managing High Performing Teams and Effective Communications certificate programs.
Note: Employees should always obtain supervisory approval to attend training courses offered through Organizational and Professional Development.