Directions for using the SEVP Portal
The SEVP Portal is only for students on post-completion or STEM OPT.
If you are on post-completion OPT, you will now use the SEVP Portal to update your address and employer information.
You should no longer use the OPT Update Form to update your information.
If you are on your STEM Extension OPT, you cannot use the SEVP Portal to update the majority of your employer information.
You will need to continue to use the STEM OPT Update Form to update your employer information. This is because you typically need to submit a new Form I-983 to ISS when updating
However, you can use the SEVP Portal to update changes in home address or phone number. Please use the SEVP Portal to update your personal address. You do not need to complete the OPT Update Form for home address changes.
What are the reporting requirements while on OPT or STEM OPT?
You should report the following changes within 10 days of the change occurring:
- Physical/home address or mailing address change
- Legal name change
- New employment, change in employment, or termination of employment
Post-completion OPT students should use the SEVP Portal to make these changes. STEM OPT students should use the SEVP Portal to change the first two, and they should use the STEM OPT Update Form to make changes to their employment.
Logging into the SEVP Portal
- Once your OPT is approved, you should receive an email from the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP).
- You must create your SEVP Portal account within 14 days of receiving this email. Otherwise, your account will be locked.
- To ensure security, you are required to make a new password every 90 days.
- If your account gets locked, you can contact your international student advisor to have it unlocked.
For more information on creating your account, click here.