Steps for New International Student Check-In:
Required Citizenship Verification Process - All new international students must follow this step to be able to register for classes. The citizenship verification process: the following documents should be submitted on the ISSM Portal.
- F-1 or J-1 Visa page (this must be your current student visa)
- I-94 record of entry (you must have entered the U.S. using your student visa to upload this document. The earliest you can enter is December 4—see the “Earliest Admission Date” on your I-20 to confirm this date.)
Please be certain that you are attending the University of South Carolina before completing this step. ONLY .pdf copies will be accepted. Note: there will likely be additionally holds on your my.sc.edu account that must be lifted by other UofSC offices.
- For incoming spring 2022 students, you can begin the Citizenship Verification Process on December 4, after you have entered the U.S.
- Upload Your I-94 - Within 2 days of the arriving to the US, submit your I-94 online. ISS will register your SEVIS record with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security after you upload your I-94.
- How to retrieve your I-94: Go to the CBP website
- Click "Get Most Recent I-94."
- Read the text then click "Consent & Continue"
- Type in your Traveler Info information
- Click "Next"
- Your I-94 should pop up on the next page. Click "Print."
- Save as a PDF.
- Submit to ISS using this form
- All permanent residents, H-4 or H-1B visa holders, DACA individuals, or any other non-US citizen without an F-1 or J-1 visa: see this section of the ISS website.
We look forward to seeing you soon at Carolina!