Introduction to the Hospitality Industry
This course will give students an overview of the vast hospitality industry. You will explore each of the major sectors of this industry (i.e., lodging, food & beverage, gaming, cruise industry, etc.). At the end of this course, students should feel comfortable discussing careers in hospitality, be familiar with industry terms and vocabulary, have an understanding of the nuances between different industry segments and be prepared to take higher-level hospitality courses within the School of Hotel Restaurant and Tourism Management.
Download the course syllabus for full details about expectations, readings, assignments and more.
The measurable learning outcomes used to determine the degree to which these goals are being met follow.
By the completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Explain the role of each sector of the Hospitality Industry and how they are related.
- Identify and define the industry terms and vocabulary.
- Categorize the sources of revenues and associated costs involved in each sector of the Hospitality Industry.
- Identify environmental factors that positively and negatively affect the Hospitality Industry.
- Synthesize and evaluate management strategies utilized in each sector of the Hospitality Industry.
- Categorize the historical progression of the Hospitality Industry and identify areas for growth and expansion.
- Identify which careers are appealing and inventory their own individual knowledge, skills and abilities to determine a match for a viable career path.