Partner requests are open!
The deadline for partner requests is April 1, 2020. After this date, we cannot guarantee you will be featured in the Garnet Guide. Please fill out the Off Campus Organization Partner Request Form to become a partner.
Spur Level ($2,000)
- Half (1/2) page, full-color ad (provided by the partner) in Garnet Guide distributed to all new students and parents
- Personalized PowerPoint slide shown prior to opening session during all orientation programs
- Partner name displayed on the Campus Partner Map with a one sentence (10 words or less) description
Cocky Level ($4,500)
All the benefits of the Spur Level, plus:
- Opportunity to table at the Resource Fair during each Summer Orientation session: May 7 – August 1
- Have your Partner name featured on our website
Gamecock Level ($7,500)
All the benefits of the Cocky Level, plus:
- Increase to one (1) page, full-color ad (provided by the partner) in the Garnet Guide distributed to all new students and parents
- Opportunity to table at the Resource Fair in both August and Spring Orientation sessions
- Partner name mentioned on all Orientation program schedules for students and guests
- Partner name and one sentence (24 words or less) description featured on New Student Orientation website
- Feature an introduction (40 words or less) on either student or parent emails (select one)
Carolina Level ($10,000)
All the benefits of the Gamecock Level, plus:
- Increase to two-page, full-color ad in the Garnet Guide, distributed to all new students and parents
- Promotional opportunity for bags, pens, freshman or transfer T-shirts, your own item, sponsorship of the freshman evening social, or sponsorship of a family lounge
- Opportunity to speak with our Orientation Leader staff (60 students) during training
- Your logo on the inside-cover of the Garnet Guide to recognize partnership
After selecting a partner level, partners have the option of choosing any of the following add-on options. While these are not required, we have found many partners enjoy these additional marketing opportunities:
- Additional Garnet Guide Pages
- Half Page: $800
- Full Page: $1800
- Two Page: $3000
- Additional PowerPoint Slides:
- One Slide: $400
- Two Slides: $700
- Three Slides: $900
Additionally, if you would like to have your PowerPoint slides or Garnet Guide spreads designed by our office, we are now offering this service for a “Design Fee”. This fee will be incurred upon request and may increase depending on the intricacy or demands of the design. Please note that requesting any changes or edits from previous Garnet Guide spreads and slides will result in a fee. Unless otherwise requested, all partners are responsible for producing their own spreads and PowerPoint slides according to our guidelines.
- Garnet Guide Design Fee
- Half Page: $100
- Full Page: $150
- Two Page: $300
- PowerPoint Slide Design Fee
- $50 fee per slide
Various advertising options are available, depending on your partnership type and budget. The Orientation Resource Fair and the Garnet Guide are two of the best opportunities to get your message to our students and their families.
The Garnet Guide serves as the newcomer’s roadmap for their first year of college. Students and families alike utilize the Garnet Guide throughout Orientation and their college career to navigate campus and connect with the Columbia community. This guide is distributed to every new student and family member that attends Orientation as well as several campus partners.
Given to 8500+ students, 6000+ family members, 80+ campus members, 50+ student leaders
Campus Partner Map
The Campus Partner Map is a quick and efficient way to showcase your business. Found inside the Columbia section of the Garnet Guide, it offers new students and families a glimpse into businesses that are close to campus.
Given to 8500+ students, 6000+ family members, 80+ campus members, 50+ student leaders via the Garnet Guide
Targeted Emails are sent to every new student and family member that registers and/or attends orientation. Pre-Orientation Communication includes important steps and expectations for New Student Orientation. Post- Communication includes a summary with links to resources from campus and the Columbia community. As a partner, you have the opportunity to create your own messaging that we will distribute via e-mail. Depending on your needs, you may choose to target family members before Orientation or after Orientation.
Sent to 8500+ students, 6000+ family members, 80+ campus members, 50+ student leaders
90%-95% open rate
Orientation Resource Fair
The Resource Fair occurs during every Orientation session. This is a great way to interact directly with new students and families. Through one-on-one interactions, conversations, and a casual atmosphere, the Resource Fair provides you with opportunities to share your business directly with our guests.
Potential of 450+students and 400+ family members per day (during freshman sessions)
Welcome Slides are shown prior to every Orientation day. This means that out of a total of 13 two-day sessions, your slides are seen a minimum of 26 times in addition to our transfer sessions. There is no other formal programming occurring during this time.
Seen by all orientation attendees (8500+ students, 6000+ family members, 50+ student leaders)
31 opportunities to be seen throughout Summer Orientation Sessions alone (includes freshman and transfer)
Orientation Leaders serve as representatives for the University of South Carolina. They assist new students and families by providing advice and insight into the city of Columbia. They often share favorite restaurants, businesses, and things to do in Columbia with our guests. By interacting with our Orientation Leaders, you have the opportunity to highlight your business and share specific talking points which you would like them to share with our new students and families.
Orientation advertisements will be for incoming freshmen and transfer students admitted for Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021. Please consider this when designing an advertisement for your department or organization.
Items to Consider:
- Family members are more likely to use the Garnet Guide and refer to it post-Orientation. Consider not only students but also families as target audiences.
- Consider what messages are relevant to a new student in their first year and during Orientation.
- Think of the Garnet Guide as a “Handbook to South Carolina” that students can utilize during their first year. While your spread should not be text-heavy, it should contain relevant information in a digestible manner.
Your layout should include the following information:
- Your Office Name
- Contact Information (website, email, phone number, and address (if applicable)
- Office-specific support services offered to new students and families
- Explanation as to why your services are important to new students and families
File Format and Printing
- Submissions must be in a packaged folder that includes the InDesign file, PDF file, linked images and fonts. Please be sure to run spell check and preflight before packaging. Please note that Microsoft Word documents will not be accepted.
- Each page of the Garnet Guide is 8.5”x11” in size with a ½ inch margin around each page. Please ensure all body is kept within the margin.
- Half-page layout: 7.5" x 5"
- Full-page layout: 7.5" x 10"
Images and Graphics
- Images in layouts should be 300 dpi/ppi resolution and in CMYK format with either .tiff or .eps, file extension (strongly preferred). Other file extensions that are accepted include .jpg.
- Images should portray campus life, Gamecock spirit, and our student body. Please be aware of any images with too much orange.
White Space and Borders
- White space is encouraged. Ribbons/block can be utilized using the same secondary colors.
- Borders, in secondary colors, are encouraged. These can be utilized for callouts, highlights, etc.
- Slides should be submitted in two different sizes, as our projectors vary depending
on the location. If only one size can be submitted, the default should be Standard
- Standard 4:3
- Widescreen 16:9
- Slides can be submitted as either .ppt or .pdf extension. Any other file extensions, including .jpg, will not be accepted.
All submissions must be received by April 1 and are subject to review and the discretion of the Office of New Student Orientation staff.
If files are not in the proper format, we cannot guarantee clarity and resolution. No other formats will be accepted.
In order to reduce errors and increase consistency from page to page, we ask that you submit your advertisement via email attachment to email@example.com.