Students must have a strong justification for submitting a petition. This is not a program approval process, but rather a case-by-case review of the individual student’s reasons for wanting to participate in a particular non-USC program.
- Contact the Study Abroad Office to set up an appointment with an advisor to discuss participation in a non-USC program.
- Submit the petition by using the form on the website.
- The form will ask for information regarding the program itself, your justification, a comparison of other pre-approved study abroad programs, and the support services offered.
- You will also be required to submit an Other Global Partner Program application, pay the study abroad application fee, and to submit proof of completion with your petition.
As a courtesy to students, petitions may be submitted prior to the stated deadline in order to meet other program or scholarship deadlines. Petitions will normally be reviewed within three to four weeks after submission. However, the review process may be longer during peak times of the academic year.
Term You Intend to Study Abroad
|Fall or Academic Year||February 1|
The petition review committee will respond to you within 3-4 weeks if all required information is included in the initial petition.
Possible reasons for the committee to deny a petition include:
- You do not provide a sufficient justification.
- The program does not meet minimum standards for approval.
- You are petitioning for a program in which you are not eligible to participate.
- A pre-approved program would meet your study abroad needs.
- You knowingly provide false information in the petition.
If, after you submit your petition, you receive further information about your program that may help the committee in the decision-making process, please contact the Study Abroad Office.