Skip to Content

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

  • USC students at Barnwell College on campus

International Transfers

International Transfer refers to any non-U.S. citizen who has attempted any college work at a college or university after graduating from secondary or high school.

Applying as an International Freshman instead? International freshman applicants are high school graduates (students that have completed about 12 years of schooling in their home countries), but they have not attempted college work at a college or university after graduating from high school.

Admission steps to complete:

There are three ways you can apply for admission to the University of South Carolina:

You should choose the application that you are most comfortable submitting. There is no advantage in the admission process to using one application or the other.

There is a $100 non-refundable application fee for international students.

English proficiency is required unless you are a citizen and completed secondary school from one of the countries on our exempt list.

English Proficiency Exams


Minimum Score


Internet Based



Paper Based








Evidence Based Reading Writing Subscore



English Subscore

Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more about submitting your official documents.

If you have taken the University of South Carolina's equivalent of English 101 and 102 at a US Institution of higher education and received a letter grade of ‘B’ or higher in each course, you may be exempt from submitting additional forms of English proficiency. Please use our Transfer Equivalency Tables to discover if we have already researched your courses.

If you are unable to obtain a minimum English proficiency score our English Programs for Internationals might be option for some students.

English proficiency exempt list:

  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Canada (note: residents of Quebec students must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE)
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Grand Cayman
  • Guam
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Liberia
  • New Zealand
  • Sierra Leone
  • Trinidad/Tobago
  • United Kingdom

Submit official (or attested copy) transcript(s) from all high school records in your native language. In addition, if your transcript is not in English, you must submit a certified transcript translated into English by a school official.

If you apply for admission before graduating from high school, you must submit an official (or attested copy) of all final transcript(s) after you graduate from high school.

A document is considered official if it comes from an original source and is not opened prior to arriving at the University. Stamped and sealed envelopes that we receive from your school, a credential evaluation company, or a test center are considered official.

We do not consider documents sent directly from the student as official or via email from the student as official documents.

All official documents can be sent to:
University of South Carolina Office of Undergraduate Admissions
902 Sumter Street/Lieber College
Columbia, SC 29208

Applicants with foreign university work must submit a course-by-course evaluation with GPA from a NACES approved company. An admissions decision will not be made until the evaluation and all transcripts are on file.

Credential evaluations are done by NACES approved companies and are not conducted by any member at University of South Carolina. In order to get a credential evaluation you will need to contact the NACES approved company directly.

U.S. citizens (freshman or transfer applicants) who have attempted any courses outside the United States must submit a course-by-course credentials evaluation. For more information on U.S. citizens transferring foreign work please visit our domestic transfer information page.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.