Title: Assistant Director for Faculty Development
James is primarily responsible for coordinating continuous training and development opportunities for all UNIV 101 instructors; this includes programming and oversight of the Teaching Experience Workshops (TEW), Course Planning Workshops, and the Building Connections Conference. He also provides one-on-one support and guidance on classroom issues, along with launching and maintaining digital faculty development efforts. James has taught multiple sections of the first-year seminar course UNIV 101: The Student in University (General and TRIO specific sections) and teaches EDLP 520: The Teacher as Manager.
Prior to coming to the University of South Carolina, James served as the full-time advisor for the Student Government Association at his alma mater, Auburn University. At UofSC, James has worked in the Student Success Center with early-alert and outreach initiatives and in TRIO Programs as a pre-college counselor for Upward Bound and a 21st Century Learning Center.
James is active and involved in Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA) where he serves on the leadership team for the Socioeconomic and Class Issues Knowledge Community and is on the advisory board for the National Undergraduate Fellows Program. He has also serves as an invited faculty for the Institute on First-Generation College Students, hosted by the National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition. James is a past co-chair for the Professional Development Team in the Division of Student Affairs and Academic Support and past co-chair for the Family Fund Faculty & Staff Campaign. In addition to serving on various University committees and task forces, he is an avid fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and enjoys drawing and painting.
Doctor of Education - Curriculum and Instruction, Anticipated: 2021
University of South Carolina
Master of Education - Higher Education Administration, 2010
Bachelor of Arts - Mass Communications/Radio, TV and Film, 2008
Friedman, D., Winfield, J., & Hopkins, K. (2019). Developing instructors for a first-year seminar. Journal for Faculty Development. Volume 33, Number 2, (pp. 11-18).
Winfield, J.K. (2018, December). The art of intervention: Partnering with faculty for early academic alert. Academic Advising Today, 41(4).
Dial, M., & Winfield, J. (2016). Digitally connecting students to success: Engaging first-year students through intrusive email outreach. E-Source for College Transitions, 13(2).
Moschella, E., Bouknight, J., Dial M., & Winfield, J. (2015). Connecting students to success: A comprehensive approach to retention and persistence. In S. Whalen (Ed.), Proceedings of the 11th National Symposium on Student Retention, Orlando, Florida. (pp. 160 – 171). Norman, OK: The University of Oklahoma.
- Increasing the Institutional Sustainability of your First-generation Student Program, Co-Presenter, Conference on First-generation Student Success, NASPA Student Success Conference, Orlando, FL (June 2019)
- First-Gen in the First-Year Seminar, Presenter, 38th Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Las Vegas, NV, (February 2019)
- Low Cost and No Faculty Development for First-Year Seminar Instructors, Co-Presenter, 38th Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Las Vegas, NV, (February 2019)
- Invited faculty for the Institute on First-Generation College Students. Three presentations, including “Factors that Contribute to Success for First-Generation College Students”; “Developing Curricular and Co-Curricular Strategies and Initiatives Tailored for First-Generation College Students”; and "Defining and Redefining the Role of Faculty and Staff in First-Generation College Student Success (July 27-29, 2018)
- Invited faculty for the Institute on First-Generation College Students (July 29-31, 2016)
- Connecting Students to Success: A Comprehensive Approach to Retention and Persistence, Co-Presenter, 11th National Symposium on Student Retention, Orlando, FL, (November 2015)
- Enhancing Student Success Through Purposeful Faculty Partnerships, Co-Presenter, 2nd Annual Conference for South Carolina College Learning Center Association (SCCLCA), (June 2015)
- Success Connect: Early Alert and Intervention at a Flagship Institution, Presenter, 34th Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Dallas, TX, (February 2015)
- Invited faculty for the Institute on First-Generation College Students (July 25-27, 2014)
- Success Connect: Early Alert and Intervention at a Flagship Institution, Presenter, 1st Annual Conference for South Carolina College Learning Center Association (SCCLCA), (June 2014)
- Deciphering Technology in Higher Education: Finding a Starting Point, Co-Presenter, 14th Annual ideaPOP! Conference, University of South Carolina, (May 2014)
- Building Relationships for Successful Collaborations, Co-Presenter, Annual State Conference for South Carolina TRIO Programs, (October 2013)
- Full Assessment…from a Mini Departmental Review, Co-Presenter, National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, (March 2011)
- The “D” Word (Diversity): What Are We SROW Afraid of Anyway? Co-Presenter, Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW), (March 2009)