Title: Assistant Director for Peer Leadership
Mike Dial is the Assistant Director for Peer Leadership for University 101 Programs at the University of South Carolina. Mike is primarily responsible for recruiting, developing, and supporting the 200+ peer leaders who co-teach alongside University faculty and staff in the U101 classroom. In addition to program oversight, Mike works closely with returning peer leaders who serve as mentors to new peer leaders and ambassadors for University 101. He also provides leadership to the EDLP 520: Teacher as Manager course, supporting the instructors and peer educators who teach 10 sections of the course. Mike also serves as an instructor for UNIV 101: The Student in the University, as well as EDLP 520.
Beyond his role with University 101, Mike serves on the manuscript review boards for E-Source for College Transitions and Sourcebook and Building Bridges for Student Success: A Sourcebook for Colleges and Universities. He is a member of the University of South Carolina's Lean Community of Practice and serves on various university committees and taskforces.
Prior to joining the University 101 team, Mike served as the Coordinator of Early Intervention in the Student Success Center at USC, where he focused on facilitating first-year students’ transition to a four-year institution through the development and oversight of a comprehensive first to second-year retention initiative, Success Connect. In this role, Mike drafted and executed a digital outreach campaign to over 5,000 first-year students, collaborated with faculty and campus partners to identify students at potential crisis points in the first year, and provided one-on-one consultations to first-year and at-risk students.
Master of Education - Higher Education and Student Affairs, 2015
University of South Carolina
Bachelor of Science - Recreation Administration
Eastern Illinois University
Dial, M., Estrada, S. M., & Young, D. G. (in press). Discussion and implications. In D. G. Young (Ed.), 2017 National Survey on The First-Year Experience: Creating and Coordinating Structures to Support Success in the First Year (Research Report on College Transitions No. 9). Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina, National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience & Students in Transition.
Dial, M. & Stuart J. (2018) Training First-Year Seminar Peer Leaders Through Extended Orientation. E-Source for College Transitions, 15(2).
Dial, M., & Winfield, J. (2016). Digitally Connecting Students to Success: Engaging first-year students through intrusive email outreach. E-Source for College Transitions, 13(2).
Moschella, E., Bouknight, J., Dial M., & Winfield, J., (2015) Connecting students to success: A comprehensive approach to retention and persistence. In S. Whalen (Ed.), Proceedings of the 11th National Symposium on Student Retention, Orlando, Florida. (pp. 160 – 171). Norman, OK: The University of Oklahoma
Dial, M. T. (2015). Success Connect: An Appreciative Approach to Early Alert at a Large Flagship University. Journal of Appreciative Education, 2(2), 24-33
- Leave it to Peers: Utilizing Peers to Lead Difficult Conversations, Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Las Vegas, NV, February 2019
- Academic Recovery: Designing Intervention Seminars for First-Year Students on Probation, Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Las Vegas, NV, February 2019
- Leveraging Early-Alert for Cross-Campus Collaborations Aimed at First-Year Student Success, Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Las Vegas, NV, February 2019
- Leaving Mr. Rogers Neighborhood: Navigating Conflict On Campus and in Society, Student Leadership and Diversity Conference, February 2019
- Extended Orientation for Peer Educator Development: The University 101 Model, National Mentoring Symposium, Indianapolis, IN, November 10, 2018
- University 101 Peer Leader Program. Poster session presented at: the NASPA Annual Conference 2018, Philadelphia, PA, March 2018
- Extended Orientation for Peer Educator Development: The University 101 Model, Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Atlanta, GA, February 2018
- 25 Years of Peer Leadership in University 101, Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Atlanta, GA, February 2018
- Connecting Students to Success: A Comprehensive Approach to Retention and Persistence, Webinar Wednesdays, Consortium for Student Retention Data Exchange, February 2017
- Designing and Enhancing Peer Educator Programs Through Recruitment and Training, Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Atlanta, GA, February 2017
- Leveraging Learning Center Resources to Connect Students to Success, Southeastern College Learning Center Association, Charleston, SC, June 2016
- Motivating Students to Facilitate Change and Seek Help, ideaPop! Conference, Columbia, SC, May 2016
- Connecting Students to Success: A Comprehensive Approach to Retention and Persistence, National Symposium on Student Retention, Orlando, FL, November 2016
- Success Connect: An Appreciative Approach to Early Intervention, Appreciative Education Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC, January 2015