Peer Leader Development Model
The peer leader application and interview serve as a selection process and as a developmental opportunity for UNIV 101 peer leader candidates. Through an online application, candidates are encouraged to reflect on their previous beyond-the-classroom experiences and how these experiences have contributed to their preparation for this leadership role. Peer leaders are asked to consider their personal and professional goals and articulate in what ways the UNIV 101 peer leader experience will help them achieve successful outcomes. During group interviews, which are capped at eight students per group, UNIV 101 staff members begin to make future peer leaders aware of intended program outcomes and role model facilitation techniques, community building and active learning strategies.
Spring Orientation is the official introduction of University 101 peer leaders to their University 101 experience.
As a result of attending Spring Orientation, peer leaders will:
- understand the history, purpose, goals and success of UNIV 101
- understand the role, expectations and commitments of a UNIV 101 peer leader as it pertains to students, faculty members and the curriculum
- articulate desired roles and responsibilities in UNIV 101
- develop strategies for working in a teaching team.
Date: August 21, 2019
Fall training occurs before the start of the semester to provide peer leaders with timely and relevant information and skills.
Peer leaders participate in this workshop with their EDLP 520 section to begin building community while:
- practicing facilitation skills
- learning about resources and enhancing their approachability
- exploring case studies of potential “sticky situations” peer leaders may face.
Additionally, the training equips peer leaders with strategies for the first week of class. All new peer leaders are required to attend.
EDLP 520 is a required class for all new University 101 peer leaders. It is designed to provide a forum for reflection on and processing of the University 101 peer leader experience and to allow peer leaders to develop and practice important leadership skills that are transferable to other settings.
Fall 2019 EDLP Schedule
|001||M 2:20-3:35||Katie Hopkins||Sims 119||13897|
|002||W 2:20-3:35||James Winfield||Sims 119||13898|
|003||M 3:55-5:10||Katie Hopkins||Sims 119||13899|
|004||W 3:55-5:10||Emma Reabold||Sims 119||13900|
|005||T 1:15-2:30||Dan Friedman||Sims 119||13901|
|006||T 2:50-4:05||Catherine Greene||Sims 119||13902|
|007||R 2:50-4:05||Scott McDonald||Sims 119||13903|
|008||T 4:25-5:40||Mike Dial||Sims 118||17917|
|009||R 4:25-5:40||Mike Dial||Sims 118||22214|
|010||T 4:25-5:40||Sandy Greene||Sims 119||24916|
|011||R 4:25-5:40||Sandy Greene||Sims 119||26339|
EDLP Learning Outcomes:
- Articulate the personal development resulting from the peer leader experience.
- Apply knowledge of first-year students and engaging pedagogies to developing and delivering an effective lesson plan for use in University 101.
- Develop and apply appropriate transferable skills, such as communication, helping and leadership skills.
- Develop and share ideas for specific course activities/discussions.
- Identify strategies to deal with challenges associated with the peer leader role.
Access the electronic Faculty Resource Manual, lesson plans, the Campus Resource Guide and other support materials.
During the fall semester, instructors and peer leaders will receive an email on Wednesdays that includes information and opportunities for instructors and students, resource spotlights and teaching tips.
Peer Leader Toolkit
The Peer Leader Toolkit is both a manual for the peer leader role and a textbook for EDLP 520, the three-hour course that new peer leaders take during the semester in which they serve. The toolkit provides historical context for UNIV 101 and the Peer Leader Program; relevant information for performing the roles of resource, mentor and facilitator; guidelines for team teaching; and community-building activities and teaching strategies to use in the classroom.
All University 101 peer leaders receive a complimentary copy of the Peer Leader Toolkit at Spring Orientation.