A Statement from University of South Carolina Libraries
University of South Carolina Libraries is committed to providing spaces and services that are accessible, safe, inclusive and culturally diverse. As an Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) member institution, we embrace their assertion that, “If libraries are to continue being indispensable organizations in their campus communities, they must reflect the communities they serve to provide quality services to their increasingly diverse constituencies.” University Libraries understands that our place at the physical and intellectual center of campus obligates us to proactively meet the needs of our diverse faculty, staff, visitors and students.
Explore and recommend training options for the library, including those provided by the university and outside resources.
Contact: Kathy Snediker at email@example.com
Explore and recommend opportunities for improving the diversity in our workforce, including:
- Create strategies to improve recruitment and retention of a more diverse staff by targeting outreach, developing partnerships and increasing advertisements outside of traditional areas.
- Increase visibility of LIS profession through outreach, targeting in particular those populations typically underrepresented in the profession.
Contact: Mary Ann Rudolph at firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore and recommend opportunities to build more inclusive and diverse language and content into library communications, programming and exhibits, including creating policies to respect cultural and religious holidays.
Contact: Graham Duncan at email@example.com
Review and report on how diversity is incorporated into current collection development policies and application and make proposals for improved practices. Advise on collections strategies including:
- Providing equity within the acquisition and processing of library materials.
- Seeking and collecting content created by and representative of underrepresented and underserved groups.
- Regularly assessing the effectiveness of existing collections to ensure reflection of the diversity of our library community.
- Procuring content in all languages used in the library’s community, when possible.
- Selecting content in a wide variety of formats to ensure accessibility and to demonstrate the library’s commitment to equity.
Contact: Ana Dubnjakovic at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Ann Rudolph