a newer search engine, originating in 2002. Its database is small,
especially when compared to Google, MSN, and Ask, but it
has some very nice features. One is "Giga-Bits," which displays "related concept listings"
at the top of the results page. Also at the top of the
results page are additional links to reference pages (for research purposes) and related pages that help you narrow and
customize your subject search. On its basic page, GigaBlast offers separate search links for the Web and its subject directory. It also
links to blog, travel, and gov. searches, but these are currently in BETA (test) phase.
In its index, GigaBlast includes PDF, Microsoft
Word, Powerpoint, PostScript, and Excel files. It has a nice date-reporting feature that links to both the date indexed and the date last
modified. (See the URL line) Its
Advanced page, while lacking several advanced search features, is clean, simple, and easy to use.
OR, at the end of results list
- Supports (+) and (-) signs
- Supports double quotes (" ")
- Supports Boolean-type searches for "all of these words,"
"this exact phrase," "any of these words," and "none
of these words"
- Allows for two phrase
searches at the same time with two "this exact phrase" boxes
- Restricts search to specific site, URL, or pages that link to a URL
- Allows site clustering
- Allows up to 5 summary excerpts
- Provides for viewing 10 to 100 results per page
- Features "Giga-Bits," i.e., related concept listings, Reference Pages, and
Related Pages in shaded areas
preceding search results
- Provides links to other search engines (Google, Yahoo, DMOZ,
Ask, & MSN) at bottom of search page, with
invitation to try your search there as well
- Maintains stop word list; will not search for stop words unless typed as
part of a phrase within quotation marks or if preceded by a (+) plus sign
- Offers short answers to simple sentence queries, but this feature doesn't work
very well and can be a waste of time.
To see how the "Giga-Bits" feature works, go to the
Basic search page,
and search for:
motor vehicle emissions
Note the related subject headings and their percentages.
[Table of Contents]
[Gateways & Databases]
[Evaluating Web Pages]
Last updated by E. Chamberlain, Thursday October 09, 2014