Now that we have reviewed some common sense Safe Work Practices that you will use when working around electricity, let's review what you should do in the event of an emergency.
Electricity, even at small voltages (110V) can cause severe injury or death by causing a person's heart or lungs to stop working. In addition, electricity can also cause minor to severe burns. Serious electrical burns often times appear to be minor, due to the fact that body tissues and organs are damaged internally. If a co-worker has come into contact with electricity they may not be able to remove themselves from the electrical source. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL THE PERSON FROM THE ELECTRICAL SOURCE WITH YOUR BARE HANDS, YOU MAY BE ELECTROCUTED. Remember, your body is a good conductor of electricity, if you touch the person while they are connected to the electrical source, the electricity will flow through your body causing electrical shock. You should first attempt to turn off the source of the electricity (disconnect). If you cannot locate the electrical isolating source, you can use a non-conducting object, such as a wooden pole, to remove the person from the electrical source. Emergency medical services should be called as soon as possible.
Once you have removed the victim from the electrical source, check to see if the person is breathing and if they have a pulse. If necessary, administer CPR (if you are trained) until emergency personnel arrive at the scene.
Never go near a victim that has been electrocuted by a high voltage line, because the electricity can travel several feet through the air and you could be electrocuted during rescue procedures.