Financial Aid for Study Abroad
USC Columbia students who wish to use financial aid to pay for credits earned while enrolled in a Study Abroad Program must provide additional information to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships in order to determine financial aid eligibility for these programs.
Study Abroad: The Study Abroad Program is set up to afford students the opportunity to study overseas and complement their academic program or major. Participation in this program is coordinated through the Study Abroad Office.
Financial Aid Guidelines for Study Abroad:
- A Financial Aid Pre-Screen Form is required for all study abroad students seeking financial aid.
- Participation in a Study Abroad Program where fees are paid to USC Columbia allows you to use all of your USC awarded financial aid (except Federal Work-Study) as if you were enrolled at USC Columbia.
- Participation in a Study Abroad Program where fees are paid to another school requires your other school to participate in a consortium agreement with USC Columbia. A consortium agreement allows USC to process your financial aid for attendance at the other school, and to send the funds to the student for disbursement. We will work with your other school to obtain the agreement if one is not already on file. If your other school does not participate in consortium agreements, you will be notified.
- If you will participate in a Study Abroad Program where fees are paid to USC Columbia and you will incur additional expenses due to studying abroad, documentation of those expenses must be submitted to our office, Attn: Tara Gibbs.
- If you will participate in a Study Abroad Program where your fees will be paid to a program sponsor, you will be asked to indicate your program sponsor on the Financial Aid Pre-Screen Form. If you do not know who your program sponsor is when you complete the Financial Aid Pre-Screen Form, you must notify us as soon as you find out.
Applying for Aid
- Start with the FAFSA
- FAFSA Application Deadline
- Funds That Require FAFSA
- Check on Your FAFSA
- FAFSA Verification
- Applying for Educational Loans (Student and Parent)
- Apply for Summer Financial Aid
- Financial Aid for Study Abroad
- Transient Student Financial Aid and National Student Exchange
- Financial Aid Guidelines for Students Concurrently Enrolled
- Applying for Aid FAQ