This request is being done at the behest of the Associate Dean of Academic Programs in the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management (HRSM). "ITEC 242: Business Communications" (which is housed in the Integrated Information Technology Department - IIT) was previously an HRSM core course; however, IIT is no longer a department within the College of HRSM and ITEC 242 is no longer an HRSM core course. As such, the new course, "RETL 242: HRSM Professional Communications", has been created. As indicated in the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (see below), an agreement between the College of HRSM and College of Engineering and Computing (CEC) was made to move IIT from HRSM to CEC. As part of this agreement, HRSM was allowed to keep their core courses and was authorized to make the appropriate curriculum changes. Therefore, we are submitting this "New Course Proposal". This "New Course Proposal" request is part of the MOU signed by and agreed upon by both the HRSM and CEC Deans. The MOU serves in the capacity of informing CEC and, hence, IIT. This request follows the pre-arranged agreement between the two colleges (please see below).
Memo of Understanding
September 27, 2016
The College of Engineering and Computing (CEC) and the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) agree to the following regarding the relocation of the Integrated Information Technology (iIT) Department:
1. If approved by the USC Board of Trustees, the faculty and programs from the Department of Integrated Information Technology (iIT) will move from HRSM to CEC as of July 1, 2017.
2. Students majoring in iIT and the Master of Health IT (MHIT) program will remain in HRSM until the end of summer 2017 and move to CEC by the beginning of the Fall 2017 term. This means the qualified students will graduate under HRSM through August 2017.
3. Based on the auditor’s recommendation and Provost’s approval, HRSM will transfer a permanent allocation of $_____ to CEC as of July 1, 2017.
4. All program fees collected for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 will be allocated to HRSM. Fees collected for Summer 2017 and beyond will be allocated to CEC.
5. HRSM will receive the MHIT tuition split with the Provost for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017. CEC will receive the MHIT tuition split for Summer 2017.
6. CEC will be responsible for scheduling Summer 2017 iIT and MHIT courses. CEC will pay all Summer 2017 salaries and expenses.
7. As of July 1, 2017, CEC will take over responsibility for all iIT and MHIT human resources related matters and expenses including salaries and operations.
8. HRSM will request all iIT grants and Educational Foundation accounts be transferred to CEC.
9. iIT faculty and staff will be allowed to retain their current desktop or laptop and office furniture when they move to CEC. All the other technology devices provided by HRSM, computer labs and equipment, and classroom equipment and furniture will remain with HRSM.
10. HRSM agrees to cover the rent and expense for breaking the lease for the space located at The Tower at 1301 Gervais Street through June 30, 2017.
11. All expenses associated with the iIT and MHIT faculty and staff move from 1301 Gervais Street to the Innovation Center, or any other location, will be covered by CEC.
12. HRSM core courses will remain with HRSM; HRSM will initiate the course designator changes during the Fall 2016 term, for the new course designator to be reflected in the Fall 2017 Bulletin.
13. The following iIT faculty members will remain with HRSM:
a. Dr. Tena Crews
b. Ms. Shawna Moffitt
c. Ms. Donna Watts
Dean Hossein signed on 10/27/16 and Dean Oh signed on 10/28/16.