Latin American Summer Study Abroad Program 2020
Study Spanish in
Summer Session II, 2020
Contact: Prof. Eric Holt at email@example.com
Information Sessions coming up:
Wed. 11/20, 3 - 4pm in Close-Hipp 464
Tues. 12/10, 2 - 3pm in Humanities Classroom Building 101
Global Classroom Application Instructions (coming soon)
Pay deposits and installments here! (coming soon)
The 2020 Spanish Summer Global Classroom Program will take place in Quito, Ecuador, the oldest capital city in South America, and the second highest capital city in the world at 9,350ft above sea level. Situated in the Andean mountain range, Quito is the political headquarters for the Republic of Ecuador, offering impressive views of nearby volcanic formations, the Andes mountains, cloud forests, and much more.
Quito is the only place in the world where it is possible to have one foot in the Northern Hemisphere and one in the Southern Hemisphere at the same time (latitude 00°00’00’’; Ecuador is the Spanish word for “equator”). The capital city is located on the Guayllabamba River Basin on the eastern slope of Pichincha, an active stratovolcano in the Andes mountains. The historic center of Quito is one of the largest, least-altered and best preserved in all of the Americas, hosting around 130 monumental buildings filled with incredible art and architecture. Along with Kraków, Poland, Quito was the first World Cultural Heritage Site declared by UNESCO in 1978.
Students will embrace the Spanish language and Latin American culture while living with Ecuadorian host families in the rural parish of Cumbayá, just east of the center of Quito, while assisting cultural and language courses at the top-ranked Universidad San Francisco de Quito.
Students will be awarded 6 hours of credit. Three will be received for SPAN 350 and three for an Andean Culture course. Both may be applied to the Spanish major, minor, elective, or general university credit.
In addition to classroom work, cultural and academic excursions are included weekly to enhance and complement the material. Transportation, guides, and entrance fees are included on these excursions.
Students will reside with Ecuadorian host families in Cumbayá. These families provide an insight into Ecuadorian life and an opportunity to speak the Spanish language in its natural environment. They also provide two meals daily and laundry once a week.
There are four excursions outside of Quito included in this program:
- Day-trip to see the Cloud Forests
- Day-trip experience of Otavalo which hosts a famed indigenous artisan market, waterfalls, and museums
- Excursion to the Quilotoa Lake in the most western volcano of the Ecuadorian Andes
- Two-day journey to explore the Salasaca Community in the center of Ecuador to learn about traditional music, arts, and indigenous cuisine.
In addition to the excursions, we will also have guided tours:
- Quito’s Historic Center
- The Middle of the World (latitude 00°00’00’’)
- Painter Oswaldo Guayasamím’s world-renowned art museum, Capilla del Hombre
- Activities of the Afro-Ecuadorian Community (history, identity and social inclusion)
- Dance and cooking classes
There will also be a focus on Service Learning projects in the community, for which the student will receive a Service Learning Certificate.
APPLICATION AND PROGRAM PROCESS: The application will be available on the Study Abroad web page. Be sure to apply by 03/01/2020. Students should also submit the $300 deposit to the only pay portal by the designated date, accompanied by a signed Deposit and Withdrawal Form. (sent directly to the Program Director).
Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and be 18 years of age and completed Span 210 (see Program Director for exceptions).
The Program Fee (approx. $3600) includes:
- 3 credit hours transfer credit at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (culture)
- Home stay with two meals a day and laundry once a week.
- Weekly guided tours, cultural activities, and stay for excursions.
- Airport transport on arrival and departure + Orientation and Farewell meals.
- UofSC in-state tuition for 3 credits and technology fees to be paid on VIP prior to departure. (SPAN 350, which is the Advanced Grammar Course)
- Round-trip airfare USA-Ecuador-USA.
- Passport fees/personal items/telephone calls.
- Optional entertainment and excursions/ excess baggage fees.
- Some meals on excursions or by choice.
- Local transportation
- Required UofSC Travel Insurance (approximately $60.00)
- UofSC Study Abroad Application Fee
For further information and for the Deposit and Withdrawal Form, contact Program Director Eric Holt at firstname.lastname@example.org