University Guidance and Resources
Guidance regarding the spring semester academic schedule and campus activities continues to be updated on the university’s COVID-19 landing page. A university-level dedicated COVID-19 hotline has also been created at 803-576-8511.
Additional guidance and resources for faculty, staff and students provided by university offices is linked below.
CAS Academic Resources
Resources for college academic units and faculty, staff and students related to the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak.
- Office of the Provost memo regarding faculty evaluation processes including tenure and promotion deadelines and student course evaluations (March 27, 2020).
- Office of the Provost's Keep Teaching website
- CAS Dean's Office memo regarding Remote Testing Resources options (Note: Respondus doesn't work for students using Chromebooks.)
- Vice President for Research memo regarding reporting critical on-campus research activities (March 25, 2020)
- Vice President for Research's Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update on Research Activities at UofSC website
CAS Administrative Resources
- Administrative Planning Calendar: All dates and deadlines for the programs listed below have been updated through the end of April. The online Administrative Planning Calendar has a new COVID-19 filter to show the affected dates to easily identify revised dates.
- Chair/Director Reviews
- Dean’s Initiatives (see below)
- Bilinski Nominations
- NTT Faculty Teaching Award
- Theme Semester Co-curricular Programming Grants
- Dean’s Initiatives: All internal deadlines for college Dean’s Initiatives have been extended with the exception of the Graduate Assistantship Enhancement Program which was not changed due to the national graduate admissions schedule. End dates for all active Dean’s Initiative awards and commitments in all programs have been extended to December 31, 2020.
- Dean’s Commitments: End dates for all current active commitments made by the College of Arts and Sciences' Dean's Office will be extended twelve months from current end date in order to provide stability for faculty research and travel plans.
CAS IT & Technology Support
As the campus adapts to changes brought about by COVID-19 policies and transitions to new instructional models, campus-wide technical resources, including IT support groups in CAS are still available and accessible remotely to users with technology needs.
- KeepTeaching on Office of the Provost webpage
- DoIT Service Desk page includes self-service-portal for submitting tickets, knowledge base for FAQ, live chat (9:30-4:40)
UofSC Network Account (https://myaccount.sc.edu/iam/) for help with password changes and user IDs.
Increased web traffic around the world has placed tremendous strain on the internet infrastructure. In an effort to minimize course content with large bandwidth requirements, use these strategies when posting content to Blackboard
- Upload lecture notes in pdf or ppt (PowerPoint) formats
- Embed audio in ppt files
- Use speech to text feature in Word
- Use Collaborate Ultra video option in Bb
- Create larger video files on other sites like YouTube or OneDrive and link to them in Bb
- Virtual Meetings options can include Skype for Business or Microsoft Teams conferencing which require more technical, bandwidth and end-user considerations
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) client is available for download at my.sc.edu/software. The campusVPN has bandwidth limits that are being hit during the day. Consider using this remote tool during non-peak hours whenever possible as we petition DoIT to increase bandwidth.
- Shared Drive Access allows using services on your work desktop from home.
- Microsoft Campus Agreement allows for 5 downloads of Office 365 on computers and personal devices, including at home. View the tools available and the DoIT Microsoft support pages for Office 365
- Adobe Creative Cloud is providing free student access for two months (students notified via email)
- FinalDraft script writing software is being provided for SVAD students, up to 120 licenses
- Spectrum Broadband is offering free internet for at-home students on a temporary basis