Skip to Content

School of Visual Art and Design

  • student holding a camera

Graduate Programs

Our graduate students are art educators, scholars, writers, & media and fine artists. We offer six graduate degrees through our Columbia-based programs. 

Art Education

Art educators fuel the next generation of growing artists, educators, and scholars. A graduate degree in Art Education prepares students to teach art and art education from K-12 to the college level. 

Art History

Student scholars in Art History at the University of South Carolina pursue in-depth research and study in an area of European, American, or Asian art and architecture, as well as photographic and film history.

Media Arts

As a graduate program with areas of study in filmmaking, new media art, and theory, we prepare agile, independent artists who are ready to succeed as workers, partners, innovators, and entrepreneurs in America's biggest export. Our graduates are driving the next wave of media culture. 

Studio Art

Graduate students in Studio Art can pursue the three year, 60-credit MFA, the terminal degree in the field, or the MA, which allows students to create their own works of art and broaden their knowledge of art in ceramics, drawing,  painting, 3D studies, printmaking, graphic design, and photography. 


Graduate Assistantships and Financial Aid

The School of Visual Art and Design offers competitive assistantships for graduate students in our degree programs. Students are automatically considered for assistantships after admission into any of our graduate programs. 

Graduate Instructional Assistants (GIAs) assist professors with a course in studio art, art education, art history, and media arts. Studio Art MFA students may become Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) after 18 credits of graduate level coursework. As a GTA, the student is the instructor on record for a studio art course. 

Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships to assist them with their graduate studies. 

Most students in this program receive assistance through loans and other forms of aid. Complete a FAFSA to be considered for these aid programs. 


Tuition and Fees

The current rate of tuition and required fees for graduate students is available from the University Bursar's Office. Out-of-state graduate students who receive a graduate assistantship are automatically granted the in-state tuition rate set forth by the Bursar's Office.


New Students
Thesis and Defense Deadlines
Graduate School Forms
Academic Calendar


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.