Skip to Content

College of Education

Graduate Certificate in Play Therapy

What will I study?

In the certificate program, you will learn about play therapy theories and will receive supervised experience conducting play therapy sessions which will prepare you to enter the field with the appropriate knowledge and skills.

The Certificate of Graduate Study in Play Therapy is open to anyone holding at least a master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology. Students currently enrolled in a master’s, Ed.S., or Ph.D. program in counseling, social work, or psychology are eligible to apply.



Select four courses from:

  • EDCE 810 - Theory and Practice of Play Therapy
  • EDCE 709 - Counseling Through Play
  • EDCE 809 - Advanced Counseling Through Play
  • EDCE 811 - Creative Arts in Counseling
  • EDCE 802P - Practicum in Play Therapy


What kinds of work will I be able to do?

This certificate meets the educational requirements for the Registered Play Therapist designation required through the Association for Play Therapy. You will gain the knowledge and skills to effectively work with children from a developmentally appropriate approach. You will be able to expand your counseling practice to help children with a variety of presenting concerns.


Where can I find information on gainful employment, tuition rates or fees for this program?

For more information, contact Jessie Guest at or 803-777-1937, or visit the academic bulletin. We invite you to read the gainful employment information for this program, as well as our general gainful employment information. Visit the Bursar’s Office webpage for information on tuition rates and fees.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.