Faculty and Staff
Karen P. Patten, Ph.D.
|Title:||Senior Instructor / Integrated Information Technology
|Department:||Department of Integrated Information Technology
College of Engineering and Computing
Ph.D., New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, N.J.
M.S., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
B.S., Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
Karen P. Patten is a senior instructor in the Department of Integrated Information Technology at the University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C. She teaches information technology project management, telecommunications, and the introductory IT courses. She has a B.S. in honors economics from Purdue University, a M.S. in civil engineering from the University of Minnesota, and a Ph.D. in Information Systems from the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Ms. Patten has taught MIS, IT management, and telecommunications at the New Jersey Institute of Technology and the National Technological University. She is the co-author of Information Technology for Small Business (2012) and the author of Data Networking Made Easy (2000) and has published articles in Information Management and Computer Security, The European Business Review, Journal of Information Systems Education, Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Cutter IT Journal, and the International Journal of Computers, Systems and Signals.
Flexible and agile IT management and leadership
Small business IT management
Wireless and mobile telecommunications
IT project management
IT / IS curriculum development.
ITEC 101 - Thriving in the Tech Age
ITEC 245 - Introduction to Networking
ITEC 447 - Introduction to End-User and Technology Management
ITEC 493 - IT Security for Managers
ITEC 545 - Telecommunications
ITEC 560 – Analysis and Application of Project Management Software
ITEC 564 - Project Management for Information Systems
Honors and awards
- 2015 - Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence. Outstanding Paper of 2014, Information Management and Computer Security.
- Finalist, 2015 HRSM Teacher of the Year, College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management.
- 2015 - IIT Teacher of the Year, College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management.
- 2015 - Appreciation for Service as AMCIS 2015, Placement Co-Chair. Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2015), Association for Information Systems, El Conquistador, Puerto Rico
- 2014 - USC ‘Community Engagement’ Faculty, Annual Community Partner Breakfast, USC’s Office of Student Engagement.
- 2014 - Appreciation for Service as AMCIS 2014, Placement Co-Chair. Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2014), Association for Information Systems, Savannah, Ga., August 9, 2104.
- 2013 – Bright Idea Award for Best 2012 Business Research Paper, The NJPRO Foundation, New Jersey Business Magazine, and the Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University, South Orange N.J.
- 2012 – Scholar of the Month, June, University of South Carolina, Columbia S.C.
- 2012 - Best Business Intelligence Teaching Paper, Business Intelligence Congress, Pre-International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) Workshop, Association for Information Systems (AIS), Orlando Fla.
- 2009 - Best Practitioner-Oriented Paper, Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Association for information Systems (AIS), San Francisco, with Jerry Fjermestad and Brian Whitworth.
- 2009 - Henry J. Leir Prize, Best Working Paper for Junior Faculty, Henry J. Leir International Trade and Business Program, School of Management, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark N.J.
- 2007 - Conference Best Research – Practice Paper, ISOneWorld 2007, with Katia Passerini.
- 2005 - Excellence in Teaching award, NJIT School of Management.
- 2015 - Certified Information Systems Analyst, Institute for the Certification of Computing Professionals
Harris, M., and Patten, K., “Mobile device security Issues within the U.S. disadvantaged enterprise program.” Journal of Information Technology Management, (26:1), March 2015.
Harris, M., Furnell, S., and Patten, K., “Comparing the mobile device security behavior of college students and information technology professionals.” Journal of Information Privacy & Security, 10, 186-202, 2014.
Passerini, K., El Tarabishy, A., and Patten, K., (2012). "Information technology for small business: Managing the digital enterprise." Springer Science and Business Media.
Harris, Mark A. and Patten, Karen (2014). "Mobile device security considerations for small and medium-sized enterprise business mobility." Information Management and Computer Security, 22:1, 97-114.
Patten, K. and Harris, M. (2013). "The need to address mobile device security in the higher education IT curriculum." Journal of Information Systems Education. 24 (1), 41-52.
Patten, K., El Tarabishy, A., and Passerini, K. (2012). "Mobile broadband: A game-changer for SME IT innovation success." The European Business Review, 51-55,
Patten, K., and Keane, L., (2011). "Enterprise 2.0 management challenges." International Journal of Virtual Communities and Social Networking, 3(1), 32-42,
Patten, K., and Keane, L., (2010). "Information technology education: Experiential learning benefits." Communications of Global Information Technology, 2, 89-100,
Fjermestad, J., Passerini, K, Bartolacci, M. R., and Patten, K. (2008) "Wireless connectivity and its relationship to emerging economies: The example of China." International Journal of Mobile Communications (6:5), pp. 633-645.
Passerini, K., Patten, K. P., Bartolacci, M., and Fjermestad, J. (2007). "The expansion of wireless in the U.S. and China: Gradual evolution or rapid revolution?" Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (CACM), 50(10), 25-28.
Fjermestad, J., Passerini, K., Patten, K. Bartolacci, M., and Ullman, D. (2006). "Moving towards mobile third generation telecommunications standards: The good and bad of the 'anytime/anywhere' solutions." Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), 17, 71-89.
Passerini, K., and Patten, K. P. (2005). "Preparing the IT department in small and large organizations for the mobile revolution." Mobile and Wireless Computing at a Crossroads: Where are We Heading, Cutter IT Journal, 8, 19-27.
Patten, K. P. (2004). "How CIOs balance flexibility and reliability in uncertain business environments." International Journal of Computers, Systems and Signals, 5(1), 3-15.
Patten, K. P. (2000). "Data networking made easy." Aegis Publishing Group, Ltd., Newport RI.
Faculty Advisor, the IIT Student Chapter of AITP
Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP)
Society for Information Management, Charlotte Founding Member
Association for Computing Machinery
Association for Information Systems
Society of Women Engineers
American Society for Engineering Management
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Project Management Institute, International