The mission of the Department of Mechanical Engineering (DME), at the University of South Carolina is to provide students with a sound mechanical engineering education, advance the understanding and application of mechanical engineering principles, enhance economic development of the State of South Carolina, and improve the quality of life of our citizens through teaching, research, and outreach programs.
Our vision is to become a nationally known Department of Mechanical Engineering that is recognized for its outstanding education, research, and outreach programs, and is renowned for the high quality of its graduates.
The program education objectives of the Mechanical Engineering program are that within a few years of graduations, the students will:
- Lead successful practicing careers or be engaged in effective advanced graduate studies
- Establish themselves as responsible and ethical citizen engineers
- Challenge themselves to innovate and collaborate in evolving work environments
- Recruit and retain high quality students including under-represented groups and provide an educational experience that prepares them for successful careers in mechanical engineering professions.
- Recruit and retain high quality faculty members with interests in the cutting-edge mechanical engineering areas.
- Establish a new paradigm for engineering education that emphasizes interdisciplinary / track / education programs.
- Increase interaction and collaboration with industry.
- Improve the Mechanical Engineering Department’s infrastructure to facilitate research productivity and success.