Updated November 12, 2019
Page Created January 14, 2019
The College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) has sustained powerful growth in student enrollment, program reputation, and industry partnerships over the years, and the time has come for the college to move to a new location to support its continued success and growth.
HRSM is moving to 1705 College Street in December 2019 and will become the primary academic unit to occupy one of the University of South Carolina’s flagship buildings, the Close-Hipp building.
2019 End-of-Year Office Hours
Friday, Dec. 13 will be the last day for regular office hours for HRSM departments and units this semester. All offices will be in the moving process the week of Dec. 16 and temporary email outages are expected during the move, so please plan ahead to have all necessary meetings or requests completed no later than Dec. 13. The college's regular office hours will resume after the winter holiday and after our move transition is complete, which is targeted for January 6, 2020.
1705 College Street
The College’s future home is located northeast of UofSC’s historic Horseshoe and in close proximity to Downtown Columbia’s vibrant business and tourism district.
Highlights of HRSM’s new home include:
- Largest classroom building on campus
- Estimated traffic of 4,000 visitors daily
- New J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Culinary Laboratory
- Cafe in the lobby
- 400-seat Belk Auditorium
- Outdoor social and event space
- Ample natural light with floor-to-ceiling windows around every floor
The Close-Hipp Building is a dual-towered building comprised of the H. William Close Building which was completed in 1973 and the Francis M. Hipp Building which was completed in 1983.
The University is conducting a renovation project for the eight-story, 408,000-square-foot building to provide the growing campus community with ample access to education and research facilities.
In addition to HRSM, the building will be a hub for important university offices including Conference and Continuing Education Services, Global Carolina, Study Abroad, University Advising and more. HRSM will be the primary academic unit to occupy the building.
General Move Information
Updates and additional details will be posted as they become available.
- The College of Hospiality, Retail and Sport Management is scheduled to move to its new location the week of Dec. 16, 2019. (updated 11/12/19). This will include all faculty and staff offices.
- HRSM will occupy the following spaces in the Close-Hipp Building:
1. 1st floor — Hipp (north tower): HRSM will have a prominent presence on the ground floor with cross-disciplinary services and spaces for students and visitors, including student recruitment, the J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Culinary Laboratory and more
2. 6th floor — Hipp (north tower): HRSM student services and advising, marketing and communications, alumni relations, corporate engagement, international programs, meeting and classroom spaces
3. 6th floor — Close (south tower): School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management offices, meeting and classroom spaces
4. 7th floor — Close (south tower) : Department of Retailing offices, meeting and classroom spaces
5. 7th floor — Hipp (north tower): Department of Sport and Entertainment Management offices, meeting and classroom spaces
6. 8th floor — Close (south tower): College administration offices, deans offices, meeting and classroom spaces
- New HRSM office locations will be posted on our online directory beginning Dec. 16, 2019.
- Most HRSM classes will be taught in or near Close-Hipp starting spring 2020. Students should refer to their class schedule for all class locations and updates.
- The move will provide more space and an enhanced learning environment for our growing student body. As with any move, it will require a bit of time to get everything settled and for everyone to become familiar with the new building, so please take time to become oriented with the new office locations at the start of 2020.
Update November 12, 2019
The College of HRSM is preparing to move from the Carolina Coliseum to the Close-Hipp Building (1705 College Street) at the end of this semester, December 2019. The college will be fully moved in at the new location for the start of the spring 2020 semester!
Update April 29, 2019:
The move was originally scheduled to take place during the summer of 2019, but has been rescheduled to December 2019. The new move-in date is the result of several factors. The renovation, which is being led by University Facilities, has proved to be the most complex renovation on campus. Part of this is due to the age of the building, and the fact that it has been an active classroom building during construction has caused unique delays. These factors have been compounded by unforeseen schedule challenges with contractors, and the addition of a significant project add on — the installation of sprinklers on two additional floors. This adjusted timing will allow for a smoother transition into a better equiped learning environment
This page is intended to provide high-level information for the general public. Faculty, staff and students are receiving additional detailed information about the move via email. If you have a question or suggestion, please use the form on this page and we will be happy to assist you.