Page updated: January 14, 2019
The College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) has sustained powerful growth in student enrollment, program reputation, and industry partnerships over the years, and the time has come for the college to move to a new location to support its continued success.
HRSM is scheduled to become the primary academic unit to occupy one of the University of South Carolina’s flagship buildings, the Close-Hipp building.
The College’s future home is located northeast of UofSC’s historic Horseshoe and in close proximity to Downtown Columbia’s vibrant business and tourism district.
Highlights of HRSM’s new home include:
- Largest classroom building on campus
- An estimated traffic of 4,000 visitors daily
- New J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Culinary Laboratory
- Cafe in the lobby
- 400-seat Belk Auditorium
- Outdoor social and event space
- Ample natural light with floor-to-ceiling windows around every floor
The Close-Hipp Building is a dual-towered building comprised of the H. William Close Building which was completed in 1973 and the Francis M. Hipp Building which was completed in 1983.
The University is currently conducting a renovation project for the eight-story, 408,000-square-foot building to provide the growing campus community with ample access to education and research facilities.
In addition to HRSM, the building will be a hub for important university offices including Conference and Continuing Education Services, Global Carolina, Study Abroad, University Advising and more. HRSM will be the primary academic unit to occupy the building.
Updates and additional details will be posted as they become available.
- The move is currently expected to begin in July 2019 with a target to have all HRSM offices relocated for the start of the fall 2019 semester.
- HRSM will occupy the following spaces in the Close-Hipp Building:
1. 1st floor — Hipp (north tower): HRSM will have a prominent
presence on the ground floor with cross-disciplinary services and
spaces for students and visitors, including student recruitment,
the J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Culinary Laboratory,
a digital retailing design lab, and a sport and entertainment
management exhibit space
2. 6th floor — Hipp (north tower): HRSM student services / advising,
marketing and communications, alumni relations, corporate
engagement, international programs, meeting and classroom
3. 6th floor — Close (south tower): School of Hotel, Restaurant and
Tourism Management offices, meeting and classroom spaces
4. 7th floor — Close (south tower) : Department of Retailing offices,
meeting and classroom space, meeting and classroom spaces
5. 7th floor — Hipp (north tower): Department of Sport and
Entertainment Management offices, meeting and classroom
6. 8th floor — Close (south tower): College administration offices /
deans offices, meeting and classroom spaces
- As many HRSM classes as possible will be taught in or near the Close-Hipp building.
Faculty, staff and students will directly receive more detailed information about specific office move dates, locations, and logistics as the move gets closer to ensure a smooth transition. This page will also be updated with details as they become available.