Faculty and Staff
Barbie Smrekar, PHR
|Title:||Corporate Engagement Coordinator
|College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management|
|LinkedIn:||My LinkedIn profile|
- Professional in Human Resources Certification
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, Cum Laude, University of South Carolina,
Studied business management and tourism management
Barbie Smrekar serves as the corporate engagement coordinator at the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management. Prior to working for the College of HRSM, Smrekar worked with the employer relations team in the UofSC Career Center, where she managed the on-campus recruiting program. Smrekar's work there included establishing relationships nationwide, scheduling on-campus interviews and campus visits for the Darla Moore School of Business, the College of Engineering and Computing, as well as interviews and campus visits held in the UofSC Career Center.
Smrekar is a member of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), Columbia SHRM, the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the Southern Association of Colleges and Employers and the South Carolina Association of Colleges and Employers.
Honors and awards
- Awarded New Professional, South Carolina Association of Colleges and Employers (SCACE)
- Eagle Service Award, Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Columbia SHRM
- National Association of Colleges and Employers
- Southern Association of Colleges and Employers
- South Carolina Association of Colleges and Employers
An active outdoorswoman, Smrekar enjoys mountain biking, hiking, kayaking and beachcombing. She also leads an annual 10-mile beach hike on Sullivan's Island each spring.
Smrekar has biked and/or hiked over half of the passages on the Palmetto Trail in South Carolina. Her favorite mountain biking passages are the Stumphouse Passage in the Upstate and Awendaw Passage on the Coast.