Skip to Content

My Law School

  • Information for Admitted Students

For Admitted Students

Welcome to the Law Class of 2024!

Congratulations again on your admission to the University of South Carolina School of Law, and a very warm welcome to the South Carolina Law community. 

We’ll be contacting you periodically throughout the spring and summer to provide you with information for a smooth transition to the School of Law. Please be sure that we have up-to-date contact information on file for you. If your undergraduate email address is expiring soon, please update the Admissions Office with your new address. We do not want you to miss anything!

Click here to join the Class of 2024's Facebook page, so you can begin to network with future members of your incoming class. 

Online Seat Deposit Payment Instructions

Please follow these steps to submit your seat deposit payment online:

  1. Once you receive your VIP ID and USC ID via email (can take 7 - 10 days from the date you are offered admission), make sure to create a password for your account. If you have already created a password, please proceed to Step 2.
    1. Go to to set up a password.
    2. Click on “I am a new user who has never used my VIP ID and need to establish my password”.
    3. Follow instructions for creating password.
    4. If not prompted after setting up your password, click here for instructions on setting up Multifactor Authentication prior to proceeding to step 2.
  2. When you have your VIP ID and have created a password, please do the following:
    1. Go to Wait to log in to SSC until prompted at Step 4.
    2. Under Newly Admitted Students, click on Pay enrollment deposit/fee.
    3. Click on University of South Carolina School of Law seat fee.
    4. Enter your VIP ID and password when prompted.
    5. Follow instructions for entering your payment information.


Confirm Intent to Enroll by June 1

Admitted candidates who have placed a seat deposit by the April 15th deadline must also confirm their intent to enroll as the final stage of the enrollment commitment. We do not require a second seat deposit payment. Confirmation of your intent to enroll is required before you will be assigned to your class section, any scholarship is aligned with your Self Service Carolina account, or your class schedule is created. You will receive an email message in late May that directs you to the confirmation survey.   

Important Dates & Documents

There are a number of important requirements outlined here. Please read all items carefully, as many of the pre-enrollment requirements must be met before you can be registered for classes or enroll in the School of Law. Items marked with a ‘** must be completed before you can be registered for classes the week of July 15. There will be a hold on your record until you have completed all pre-enrollment requirements.

The first step in the enrollment process is getting your account set up on Self Service Carolina. Self Service Carolina (SSC) is where students and faculty go to manage their personal information and perform many common, day-to-day transactions. You will use SSC to register for classes, manage your financial aid information, pay your deposit, and view your class schedule and grades. You have been sent first-time SSC login credentials via email. If you did not receive that email or have misplaced your login credentials, please email us at so that we can provide it to you again. Once you have established your SSC account, you will be able to place your seat deposit using the instructions above.

Not all the tabs on SSC are available to law students. First-year law students are assigned to class sections, so you cannot register for classes. The housing tab applies only to on-campus housing, which few if any law students choose. You will be able to view your schedule later this summer after you are assigned to sections and you have completed all the pre-enrollment requirements outlined in this email. Current students or graduates of the University of South Carolina will be able to place a seat deposit once they receive the email from admissions with their login credentials.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Under the ‘Personal Information tab on SSC, you can change your mailing address, email address, and other contact information on record with the University of South Carolina. Please be aware that until Orientation the School of Law will continue to use the email address provided on your application for admission. If you change your email address using SSC, it will not change your email address on the admissions office database. Please email us at with your new contact information. Other University offices, including Financial Aid and the Bursars and Residency Offices, will use your new University of South Carolina email address, so you should follow the instructions on Self Service Carolina to access your University network username and password to set up that account.

All students must have an Immunization Form on file with the University of South Carolina's Center for Health & Well-Being. New UofSC students will need to submit the Immunization Form via MyHealthSpace by July 1st. If your form has not been received and processed at the time that 1L students are registered for classes the week of July 15, there will be a health center hold on your record and you will not be able to access your preliminary class schedule! It can take 7–10 days for the University to process your immunization form, so please get it in as soon as possible. Incoming first-year law students who attended UofSC as undergraduates within the last five years may already have this form on file and can call the Immunization Office at 803-777-9511 or login to their MyHealthSpace account to check to see if a new form will be required. Please note that the Office of Admissions is unable to communicate the status of your Immunization Record submission.

Health insurance is available to law students and their dependents under the Universitys group health insurance plan. Please note that although the Universitys website says that proof of health insurance is mandatory, that requirement does not apply to law students unless you are employed as graduate assistant in your second or third year. Click here to learn more information about The University's Student Health Insurance Plan. 

American Bar Association accreditation standards require that we have an official final transcript showing award of your undergraduate degree on file for each entering student. This document must be sent directly to the School of Law from the Registrars Office at your undergraduate institution. Your official final transcript may either be submitted as a paper or electronic version. You may submit a paper copy of an official transcript, or a certified electronic transcript, coming directly from the Registrar's Office or issuing agency. Unofficial transcripts, transcripts issued or emailed to the student, and transcripts that do not show the award of your degree will not satisfy this requirement. The transcript you submitted to LSAC for your CAS report does not satisfy this requirement if it did not denote final degree conferral. If we do not receive your official transcript by July 1, there will be a transcript hold on your record and you will not be able to access your schedule.

Paper copies of transcripts should be mailed to:

School of Law
University of South Carolina
Admissions Office
1525 Senate Street, Suite 129
Columbia SC 29208

Electronic transcripts should be emailed to the School of Law Admissions Office at You can monitor whether or not we have received your final transcript by logging in to the Application Status Portal, and ensuring that the "Final Transcript" box has been checked off. 

If for any reason you are unable to submit a transcript (if, for example, you are finishing your graduation requirements in summer school and will not receive a degree until later in the year) please email the Office of Admissions at to explain the circumstances. Unless you have been given a waiver, you will not be able to get your class schedule until you have submitted your final transcript.

Do I have to submit a transcript if I went to USC as an undergrad?

Yes. You are the only one who can release a copy of your transcript to us. We cannot access it or request it from the University Registrars Office.

Can I have my school submit an official transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse, or submit an electronic or PDF version of my transcript?

Yes. The official transcripts must be sent through your school Registrar or an official third-party transcript service: National Student Clearinghouse, Credentials Solutions, Scrip-Safe, or Parchment.  

I finished undergrad before I applied so my LSAC transcript is complete. Do I still have to send one?

No. If the official transcript sent to LSAC included your degree and date of degree conferral, you will not be required to submit an additional transcript from your degree granting school.  You will still need to submit official transcripts from all other institutions you have attended.

Under South Carolina law, lawful presence in the United States must be verified before enrollment at any public institution of higher education. For that reason, all USC students are required to present proof of citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S. before enrolling. You will have to complete the citizenship verification process by July 1 or there will be a citizenship hold on your record and you will not be able to access your class schedule. Please review all instructions before completing the Citizenship Verification Form.

Questions about this process may be directed to the Office of the University Registrar, 803-777-5555.

If you identified yourself as a resident on your admissions application, you must complete the South Carolina Residency Certification process, even if you attended South Carolina as an undergraduate and were classified as an in-state student. Log in to Self Service Carolina, scroll down to the tab for Newly Admitted Students, and click on Access South Carolina Residency Information for forms and instructions. Please make sure to complete this process prior to July 1st. If you identified yourself on your application for admission as a South Carolina resident and have not completed the Residency Certification process and been approved for in-state status at the time tuition bills are generated in July, you will be billed at the full non-resident tuition rate.

Every student's financial needs are unique. Regardless of what type of aid you would like to pursue, you must first complete the FAFSA application, which will help the university determine how aid is distributed. If you are applying for financial aid, including Direct Stafford Student Loans, Direct GradPlus Loans, or private loans, and you have not already completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), please do it as soon as possible. To designate the University of South Carolina as a recipient of your Student Aid Report (SAR) the FAFSA Code for UofSC is 003448. If you have already submitted your FAFSA, you can check the status of your financial aid application through Self Service Carolina. If you are selected for Federal Verification, the Financial Aid Office will notify you of any additional documentation you need to submit via an e-mail to your UofSC e-mail account.

If you were awarded a scholarship and do not yet see it posted on Self Service Carolina, this will be updated in your SSC account in July. Please contact the Office of Admissions at if you have any questions about your scholarship funds. 

If you have any outstanding parking fines or other financial obligations to the University, now is the time to clear those up. The Bursars Office will put a hold on your law school registration if you owe money to the University.

Columbia is a wonderful and welcoming place to call home. Because of their close proximity to the School of Law, many of our law students choose to live in the residential areas of Shandon, Rosewood, Heathwood, West Columbia, Cayce, University Hill, Earlewood, Forest Acres, or in the Vista. Various rental properties (duplexes, homes, condos, apartments) can be found on trusted sites like Zillow and Trulia. Searches in the 29201, 29203 and 29205 can often yield promising results.

If you are interested in living in an apartment-style community with traditional amenities, the Office of Admissions has a list of area housing options can provide a number of suggestions within close proximity to the law school. These properties attract graduate students and young professionals, lending themselves to the type of quiet environment that is conducive to law students and their studies. Please contact the Office of Admissions at (803) 777-6605 or to request our list of area housing options. 

Incoming students can purchase parking permits online or at the University's Office of Parking Services in the Pendleton Street Garage, at the corner of Pickens and Pendleton Streets, Monday–Friday, 8:00–5:00. The parking services website features rules, maps, and permit prices. Students also will be able to purchase permits online later in the summer. There are also a number of metered parking spots, managed by the City of Columbia, within close proximity to the law school's building. 

If you need a letter verifying your intention to enroll in August, please contact the Admissions Office at We can provide you with a letter stating that you have been offered admission, have paid all required deposits, and are expected to enroll as a full-time student at the School of Law. For most purposes, such as continuing coverage under a parents health insurance policy or to document enrollment for an outside scholarship, this letter is sufficient. For student loan deferrals or other programs for which official enrollment certification is required, you will need to wait until mid-August, and then you can request an enrollment certification from the University Registrar. Neither the law school Registrars Office nor the Admissions Office can issue an enrollment certification for student loan deferrals.

  • Health and Immunization Forms are due to the University of South Carolina's Center for Health and Well-Being. 
  • Official final transcript showing award of your undergraduate degree must be received by the law school Admissions Office.
  • University Citizenship Verification forms are due to the University Registrar’s Office.


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.