Step 1: Understand the Requirements
- Students may apply for an externship course beginning the second semester of their second year.
- Students may not participate in more than two (2) externship courses and may not earn more than six (6) academic credits from externships. If a student participates in more than one externship, the externships must be in different areas.
- Students may not take an externship course along with either a capstone or clinic course during the same semester.
Step 2: Understand the Commitment
- During the fall and spring semesters, students are expected to work a minimum of eight (8) hours per week for thirteen (13) weeks at the externship site to earn two (2) hours of academic credit.
- During the summer session, students are expected to work a minimum of thirty (30) hours per week for seven (7) weeks at the externship site to earn four (4) hours of academic credit.
Step 3: Research Externship Opportunities
- Browse the list of pre-approved field placement opportunities.
- If you would like an externship at an office not on the list, contact the Director of Externships and Special Academic Programs for approval.
Step 4: Apply
- You should complete the Externship Application and submit a copy of your resume to the Director of Externships and Special Academic Programs in Room 311 or email@example.com.
Step 5: Schedule an Interview with the Director of Externships
- Schedule an appointment to discuss your goals and expectations so that the Director can work with you to identify the best field placement
Step 6: Prepare for the Interview
- The field placement may reach out to you directly to schedule an interview once materials are sent. Respond promptly and prepare for the interview.
Step 7: Interview with the Placement
- Dress professionally and arrive early.
- Understand the work of the office and prepare questions to ask about the experience.