Research experiences broaden your knowledge about patient needs and the continuum of care and help you adopt a curious, patient-centered approach to medicine.
The UofSC School of Medicine Greenville provides financial support for you to participate in research projects and share your findings with the larger medical community.
About 70 students per year receive stipends through the SOARING program to conduct research projects in the Upstate after their M1 year.
Of those, about 45 students are funded through support from the Sargent Foundation. Explore Shannon Smith’s research on how various breast cancer chemotherapy regimens effect patients’ mitochondria within the skeletal muscle or learn about Avery Funkhouser’s research compiling molecular profiles of cancer patients to refine diagnosis and future treatment options.
The School of Medicine Greenville reimburses the costs for 20 to 50 students per year to participate in and present at national and international conferences.
Explore student conference travel for the 2021-2022 school year:
- AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry 2021 Annual Meeting and Scientific Symposium
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting
- American Association of Bioanalysts Conference and CRB Symposium
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting
- American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Session and Expo
- American College of Sports Medicine Regional Meeting
- American Medical Association Medical Student Section Annual Conference
- American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting and Conference
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Annual Meeting
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Annual Meeting
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Scientific Congress and Expo
- Annual Medical Education Conference
- Association for the Advancement of Blood and Biotherapies Virtual Annual Meeting
- Association of American Medical Colleges Group on Diversity and Inclusion Professional Development Conference
- Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings (COSM)
- International Association of Medical Science Educators Annual Conference
- International Stroke Conference
- Mid-Atlantic Microbial Pathogenesis Meeting
- Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Association Annual Meeting
- National Association of EMS Physicians
- Sleep 2022
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine 22
- South Carolina Chapter of the American College of Physicians Annual Scientific Meeting
- Southeastern Psychological Association (SEPA) Annual Meeting
- Southeastern Surgical Congress
- Southwestern Surgical Congress Annual Meeting
- Systemic Vascular and Interventional Neurology Annual Conference
- VIE Scientific Poster Session at the Christian Medical and Dental Associations National Convention
School-Hosted Research Seminars
As a student, you can attend any or all of the School of Medicine Greenville’s research seminars, which are offered throughout the year and cover a broad array of topics.
2021-2022 Seminar Series Topics
- What is an IRB?
- M2 Student Research Panel: Learn about the research M2s completed last summer
- Learn about how research is recorded on your residency application (ERAS), How to prepare a CV, and SOARinG Application Tips
- M4 Student Research Panel: Learn about the role research played during residency interviews with our SOMG M4 students
- Research Professionalism, Mentor-Mentee agreement, Scholar’s Application Tips
- How to read and present a scientific paper
- Journal Club #1 (three student group paper presentations)
- Journal Club #2 (three student group paper presentations)
- Journal Club #3 (three student group paper presentations)
- How to write a scientific abstract, make a scientific poster and prepare an oral presentation
- Annual SOMG Student Research Symposium