June 8–10, 2020
Application Deadline May 15, 2020
UofSC Jazz Camp offers a focused and fun combination of workshops, personalized instruction, student performances, faculty concerts, and jam sessions. The camp is for middle and high school students wishing to learn about the jazz language, improve improvisation skills, and share the experience of this great American art form with new friends in a relaxed environment. Come learn and play with the UofSC Jazz faculty.
|Application fee: $35 (non-refundable)||Application fee: $35 (non-refundable)|
|Tuition: $200||Tuition: $200|
|Optional Room and Board:
Single Occupancy: $109.42
Double Occupancy: $78.17
Optional Meal Plan: $90
|Optional Meal Plan: $90
(5 lunches and dinners)
- All fees are non-refundable after June 1.
- All commuting students must live off campus with an adult guardian.
- A limited number of scholarships are available. All students wishing to be considered for scholarship assistance must submit a taped recording and indicate on the application that they wish to be considered.
- Apply and pay online.
- Include an electronic audio file link or send us a CD recording of 5-10 minutes of you performing on your major instrument (or proof of inclusion in your Allstate ensemble). A recording is required if you wish to be considered for a scholarship.
- Mail to: Bert Ligon, UofSC Jazz Camp, USC School of Music, 813 Assembly St., Columbia, SC 29208
UofSC Jazz Camp FAQ
This program centers around High School students who are interested in getting started with jazz improvisation and those who wish to develop their interest in jazz. The camp offers individual and small group instruction from UofSC jazz faculty and guests. In addition to combo coaching and individual instruction, the camp offers jazz literature and theory classes..
The camp will focus on Jazz combo performance. The small, chamber environment of a combo is where the rubber meets the road in jazz. In a big band, the emphasis is on playing the ensemble written parts. In a combo, the emphasis is on individual creativity within a small, interactive group.
We will make recordings available of the combo performances for purchase.
Limited scholarships are available to students who ask to be considered on their application forms. All students who wish to be considered for scholarships MUST submit a recording of their playing, even if they have proof of Allstate band or chorus participation. Proof of having made the Allstate ensemble is sufficient for acceptance in the program, but not for scholarship consideration.
Submit a photocopy of the program with your name highlighted.
8:30 Three one hour sessions
- Jazz listening and literature
Noon Lunch & practice time
1:30 Three one hour sessions
- Individual Lessons/Master Classes
Monday & Tuesday 7:30 p.m. Concerts and recitals in conjunction with the CSMC
Wednesday 6:00 Final Jazz Camp Concert
For more information, email Bert Ligon.