Plan of Study
The DNP program at the University of South Carolina graduates advanced practice nurses ready to assume clinical and leadership roles. This program offers clinical specialty and executive leadership tracks. Advanced practice nurse graduates develop skills to assess research and evaluate outcomes to improve patient care. Nurse Executive leader graduates are prepared to influence health care environments through professionalism, leadership, strong communication skills and business knowledge.
All applicants must hold a master’s degree and will have a minimum of a 33-hour course of study. All students may choose the Nurse Executive concentration – 39 hours option and Masters prepared students holding a certificate in advanced practice nursing may complete the 33-hour program – no concentration – which will expand on the APRN role. The DNP program can be completed online however campus visits may be required for project proposal defense and final project defense.
The BSN to DNP degree with AGACNP, FNP or PMHNP concentrations will begin to accept applications for the Summer 2020 cohort from August 1, 2019 through November 1, 2019. Full-time and part-time plans of study will be available.
Why the DNP at USC?
- One of the first four nationally recognized DNP programs in the country
- Health Policy internships available for all DNP Students
- All students collaborate with dynamic faculty mentors on evidence based projects
- A wealth of opportunities for grant development
- Scholarship opportunities for qualified students
- All didactic classes online
- No GRE requirement for admission to the DNP
- Successful completetion of BSN and MSN degrees
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 from all previous institutions attended, science grades strongly considered
- Provide three letters of reference from doctorally prepared registered nurse or physician
- A personal goal statement
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Current unencumbered RN or APRN licensure in the state of residence
- Current BLS certification.
- Onsite or phone interview with nursing graduate faculty
- Complete graduate residency of at least 18 graduate hours for three consecutive semesters
- Complete an approved program of study
- Complete a DNP final project
- Complete program within six years
- Complete a minimum 1,000 clinical hours. Credit will be given via a gap analysis for some clinical hours earned during the Master’s program. Each student, after admission will be required to submit a portfolio for evaluation of clinical hours and after evaluation, the required number of hours required in the DNP program will be outline prior to matriculation
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and earn a 3.0 or better in all required classes and courses number 700 or higher
The DNP program accepts applications August 1 – November 1 for Summer entry.
Apply online at www.sc.edu/gradschool.
Contact the Nursing DNP Program Office
Have additional questions about the DNP Program?
Call us at 803-777-7412, email or stop by our office:
Williams-Brice Building, Room 208
1601 Greene Street
Columbia, SC 29208