Key Message #3: Nurses should be full partners with physicians and other health care professionals in redesigning health care in the United States.
Co-Leaders: Christy Cimineri and Pennie Peralta
Goal: Expand opportunities for nurses to lead and diffuse collaborative improvement efforts
- Educate and recruit nurses to assume existing leadership/board opportunities in the state.
- Create opportunities for nurses to serve on boards e.g. health care, education boards.
- Strategy: Educate consumers, state-wide policy makers, and business leaders regarding
the value of nurses.
- Need to work not only on recruiting nurses for potential board (and other leadership) opportunities, but also develop coaching/mentoring programs to assist in leadership trajectories.
- Opportunity for partnering between the SC OVOP Action Coalition co-lead organizations – South Carolina Center for Nursing Leadership (CNL) and the South Carolina Hospital Association (SCHA).
- As potential board members are identified as readied, will need a marketing/communication plan/effort to make the above mentioned groups aware of leader candidates.
- Strategy: Publicize the DNP PI projects and professional nursing exemplars.
- Collaborate with the College of Nursing (CON) to offer continuing education units (CEU's).
- Identify key players to make this happen.
Goal: Prepare and enable nurses to lead change and advance health
- Develop a tool kit for how to get involved with action coalition.
- Share the virtual tool kit via electronic communications.
- Track usage of tool kit and solicit evaluative feedback as to the value.
- Keep the tool kit current and updated.
- Seek funding to assist in this effort.
- Establish a standing committee within deans and directors to orient new SC deans and directors to initiatives in the state.
- Investigate and seek opportunities to link to existing leader mentorship programs in SC.
- Incorporate Initiative on the Future of Nursing (IFN) activities into SCONL CNO mentorship program.
- Create effective communication structure amongst key statewide leaders and organizations
and encourage participation in IFN activities.
- Conference calls to update leaders every six months (or more frequently).
- Increase availability and use of Basecamp software for the teams.
- Determine feasibility of using a product like GoToMeetings.com for webinar/conference calls.
- Seek other communication methods and opportunities and determine resources needed to support these.