To receive an invitation to apply for the Gamecock Pharmacy Assurance (GPA) Program, students must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Achieve either a minimum ACT composite score of 27 or a minimum SAT score of 1260
- Earn a minimum cumulative high school grade point average of 3.5 on a weighted core.
- Receive acceptance into the University of South Carolina Columbia campus
- Declare the major of B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pre-Pharmacy)
Other areas considered in the selection process include extracurricular activities such as leadership, community service, student organizations, as well as honors/awards and pharmacy exposure.
To be eligible to participate in our Pharm.D. program and sit for the pharmacist licensure exam, you must possess certain cognitive, behavioral and technical skills and abilities. The Technical Standards of the College of Pharmacy describe the essential functions you must demonstrate in order to fulfill the requirements of a general pharmacy education, and are thus prerequisites for entrance to, continuation in and graduation from the UofSC College of Pharmacy. You must meet or exceed the required aptitude, abilities and skills outlined in our standards. Certain chronic or recurrent illnesses and problems may interfere with completing your didactic studies, delivering or providing patient care or compromising patient safety and may be incompatible with pharmacy training or practice.
Students invited to apply for the Gamecock Pharmacy Assurance (GPA) Program must complete the following steps:
- Complete the GPA Program application (in addition to the UofSC undergraduate application)
- Upon extended invitation, fully attend the GPA Program on-site information session and successfully complete the associated interview activities with the UofSC College of Pharmacy
Students who are extended an invitation to apply to the GPA Program and meet or exceed the UofSC College of Pharmacy Technical Standards are encouraged to submit application materials as soon as possible. Interview seats are limited and will be issued on a rolling basis.
In order to continuously create and maintain the highest quality experiences for Gamecock Pharmacy Assurance (GPA) Program students, a program fee of $350 per semester will be required of every student during the two years of prerequisite coursework. This program fee includes the $100 per semester advisement fee that is required of all UofSC Pre-Pharmacy students.
Prior to matriculation into the Pharm.D. Program, all GPA Program students will be required to submit an application to our national application system, PharmCAS, which costs approximately $160 and a supplemental UofSC College of Pharmacy application, which costs approximately $65.
Students enrolled in the GPA Program may benefit from various cost savings mechanisms, including:
- The transfer of remaining years of UofSC scholarships towards Pharm.D. tuition rates, if applicable
- The transfer of remaining years of State of South Carolina scholarships towards Pharm.D. tuition rates, if applicable
- A savings of approximately $500 due to PCAT exam exemption
- The elimination of the need to apply to multiple Pharm.D. programs, avoiding unnecessary application costs