Learning by doing is core to the College of Pharmacy experience. From gaining real-world experience in our compounding labs to on-the-job training during rotations in hospitals, healthcare facilities and retail pharmacies around the region, you can’t beat our hands-on approach to pharmacy education.
As your studies progress, your patient care activities and experiences will grow more in-depth. Hands-on learning begins in your first year and progresses all the way through your fourth year. Here’s what you can expect from year to year.
First and Second Professional Years
- observe health system practice and community pharmacy settings
- complete laboratory simulation workshadow with preceptors
- experience introductory experiences (IPPEs)
- assist in introductory patient care services
Third Professional Year
- experience required and elective advanced experiences (APPEs)
- provide patient care services for extended periods at a practice site
Fourth Professional Year
- complete a variety of rotations at different practice settings
Connect Through Interprofessional Education
At the University of South Carolina, pharmacy students join a community of other healthcare students in disciplines such as nursing, medicine, social work and public health. Before you even graduate, you will develop the skills necessary to collaborate and communicate as part of an interdisciplinary team who is dedicated to providing patients with seamless care.