Skip to Content

Arnold School of Public Health

Frequently Asked Questions

There are a lot of changes happening within the Athletic Training profession. Get answers to your questions in our FAQ below.

Frequently Asked Questions (MS in Athletic Training)

What pre-requisite coursework do I need?

In addition to a baccalaureate degree, students must have completed the following courses with C or better:

Biology and Lab                         4 credits

Chemistry and Lab                    4 credits

Physics and Lab                         4 credits

Anatomy and Physiology          8 credits

Exercise Physiology                   4 credits

Psychology                                  3 credits

Nutrition                                      3 credits

Statistics                                      3 credits

Biomechanics                             3 credits

Do all of my prerequisites need to be completed prior to submitting my application to the AT program?

No. You may submit your application prior to completing all your prerequisites for the program. Prerequisite courses must be completed prior to enrolling in the program.

How can I tell if a course will be counted toward my prerequisites?

When in doubt, contact us and we will provide you guidance. Please forward to us the catalog description of the course(s) in question and a syllabus.

Is there a recommended undergraduate major to enter the Master of Science in Athletic Training?

No, there is no specific required major at the undergraduate level as long as you have met the prerequisite course requirements. The most common undergraduate majors are Health Science, Kinesiology, or Exercise Science, but there is no preferred undergraduate major.

How do I Apply?

Applicants for the MS in Athletic Training must apply through the Athletic Training Centralized Application Service (ATCAS) website at

Is there an application deadline?

Completed applications must be received by ATCAS by February 15th.

Where do I send official transcripts?

Official transcripts of all colleges/universities attended are sent to ATCAS directly.

Where should I send my letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation will be uploaded by the recommender directly to ATCAS. 

Can I attend the program part-time or via distance education?

No. The program is a full-time residential program with specifically sequenced courses.

Do you require observation hours?

We require a minimum of 50 hours under the supervision of a certified athletic trainer, documented on the observation hours verification form. This document will be uploaded to the ATCAS application.

When does the program start?

We are planning to start the program mid-May.

I noticed that USC offers a Master’s of Advanced Athletic Training degree?  Which degree is for me?

The MS in Advanced Athletic Training is a post-professional degree program and is designed for credentialed athletic trainers who want additional training beyond their professional degree. The MS in Athletic Training is considered a Professional Program and is meant for those who wish to become athletic trainers. 

Can I talk with somebody?

Absolutely. Please feel free to take advantage of this opportunity by using the information at right.

Does the program require an admission interview?

No, we do not require an interview as part of selecting applicants. If you would like to visit USC or meet with us, please feel free to contact us and we can set something up.

What type of anatomy is taken as a part of this program?

Our students take cadaver anatomy. Special emphasis is provided on the musculoskeletal system

How much does your program cost?

This value changes. Please refer to the tuition and fee information.

Can I have a job while in this program?

We do not have a rule against students working while enrolled; however, most students do not work because of coursework and clinical experience requirements. We strongly recommend that students do not work full-time and those who choose to work part-time obtain employment with a flexible schedule.

Do I need a car?

A car is recommended.  Many of our clinical sites are off-campus at local high schools, clinics, and hospitals.  There is access to public transportation, but the commute can be lengthy.

I am already an athletic trainer. Is this program for me?

No. This is a professional program designed for those who would like to become an athletic trainer.

University Information

Other Links