August monthly tips
Review tips, frequently asked questions and talking points to help your student be successful this month.
By Office of Parent & Family Programs, email@example.com, 1-800-868-6752
- Family Weekend 2018. Registration is open for Family Weekend 2018, to be held Oct. 5-7. You have until Sept. 17 at 4 p.m. (EST) to register, but space is limited so register early! View the schedule of events and helpful information for navigating the weekend. Don’t forget to RSVP on Facebook to start connecting with other families who will be attending.
- Parents Association. If you haven’t already, join the dues-free Parents Association. You’ll receive monthly e-newsletters from the Office of Parent & Family Programs to keep you updated. It’s the best way for parents and families to stay connected to Carolina.
- Academic resources. Encourage your student to start the semester by getting familiar with the resources Carolina has to help students succeed. The Student Success Center offers a variety of options including tutoring and Supplemental Instruction.
- Campus safety. The Carolina Alert system provides students with voicemail and text updates in the event of an emergency on campus. Encourage your student to sign up for Carolina Alerts through Self Service Carolina. Spaces are available for several phone numbers and email addresses, so ask your student to add your contact information as well. You can also follow Carolina Alert on Twitter and Facebook.
- December graduation. If your student is planning to graduate in December, remind them that Sept. 14 is the last day to apply for graduation.
- Family Calendar & Handbook 2018-19. You can view the 2018-19 Family Calendar, or send the Office of Parent & Family Programs an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a hard copy be mailed to your home.
- MicroFridges in residence halls. Students who live on campus and want a microwave or refrigerator in their room are required to rent or purchase a MicroFridge through Standards for Living. Refrigerators, microwaves or MicroFridges not rented/bought through Standards for Living will be removed from rooms. MicroFridges rented by Aug. 8 will be delivered to campus in time for Move-In.
- Office phone calls. As the start to the school year grows closer, many offices and departments will experience a higher volume of calls with longer wait times. If you have a general question or concern, the Parents Assistance Line is available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Service Saturday. Throughout the year, students have the opportunity to participate in a monthly service project through the Leadership and Service Center. The first Service Saturday of the year will be Aug. 25. Students can register and find out more information about Service Saturday on Garnet Gate.
- Student football tickets. Student tickets for the 2018 Gamecock football season will be allocated on a weekly basis. Please encourage your student to read about the student ticketing process so they know how to request and claim tickets for Carolina football games.
- Student Health Services. Student Health Services provides a holistic approach to healthcare, to ensure the academic success of students. Students have access to general medical care, physical therapy, sports medicine and orthopedic clinics, specialized women's care, counseling, wellness services and a pharmacy.
- Student Mail Center. Want to send some mail or a care package to your student? You will need their on-campus mailing address, which students can find in Self Service Carolina. Review the Student Mail Center’s policies before sending a package.
- Technology Services. If your student has trouble with their computer during the year, they can visit the University Technology Services Carolina Tech Zone located at 1244 Blossom Street, or they can call 803-777-1800 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Share this Story! Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about